Fly Fusion Forums

Home Depot

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher

Man o man. I went to Home Depot yesterday and firstly could not find a person in Plumbing. I looked and looked and even had them page someone.

Now many of you would laugh but I have never, ever changed a faucet or anything plumbing related. Never had to until today. A faucet was leaking and was all coroded and a general ugly eyesore. I told my wife rather than hire a plumber I would give it a try. We picked out a similar sized nice faucet at Home Depot and needed to know how to do it and what I would need in the way of supplies.

Once I finally found a guy he said it was not a problem and in fact very easy to replace. He also said I only needed teflon tape. Ignoring the fact I am middle aged...not in my prime and 6 foot 2 inches I figured I can manover enough under a sink. I also have great plumbers butt so I looked like the real deal. The wife leaves and 1.5 hours later comes back to hear me cursing.

I had both hoses attached to the faucets leaking as well as from the drain. I could not figure out why but knew enough that it was leaking not unlike a garden hose without a gasket. The instructions did not mention it and neither did the HD guy but there were two gaskets (same color as the bronze pipe below the faucet heads still attached to the old faucet. Bingo, bango and walla. The gaskets fixed the leaking. Now only the drain was leaking. As the instructions said I needed silicone sealant..there was some kind of putty type stuff there before. I now need to go hit the store again but for now that leak is going drip into a bucket. I am sure tomorrow it will get fixed.

But at least now I am confident I can do this new "do it yourself job" on my own.

Very satisfying not having to pay a plumber...not to complain about plumbers mind you...just nice to be handy.

Cheers.

Sun

That's a real life DIY story. Pretty funny .. now anyway.

In my formative "homeowner" years (way back) I had a (do NOT laff) Readers Digest Home Handyman Book. I have to tell you it was absolutely fantastic ... covered EVERYTHING in a way I could understand. (You sound like me Sundance..) It covered concrete, framing, electrical, plumbing, flooring ... repairs and installations. Excellent book as it was deadly accurate and well written with lots of pictures showing damn near anything. Used it a LOT in the years I developed the basement, poured sidewalks and garage floor and built the garage. I did all of the framing, electrical (which I later had inspected) and plumbing. That book was my bible.

I HATE all of that now...which explains why, after nine years here, we still do not have baseboards in the basement. True 45° miter joints are a myth. They do not exist in the universe. That's why they sell paintable silicone caulking.

In my formative "homeowner" years (way back) I had a (do NOT laff) Readers Digest Home Handyman Book. I have to tell you it was absolutely fantastic ... covered EVERYTHING in a way I could understand. (You sound like me Sundance..) It covered concrete, framing, electrical, plumbing, flooring ... repairs and installations. Excellent book as it was deadly accurate and well written with lots of pictures showing damn near anything. Used it a LOT in the years I developed the basement, poured sidewalks and garage floor and built the garage. I did all of the framing, electrical (which I later had inspected) and plumbing. That book was my bible.

I HATE all of that now...which explains why, after nine years here, we still do not have baseboards in the basement. True 45° miter joints are a myth. They do not exist in the universe. That's why they sell paintable silicone caulking.

My firm belief is that Handyness and Fishing do not mix. My wife is absolutely convince I am the least handy man on the planet. Not even close to true, but it is in my best interest for her to believe so.

Less time fixing=more time fishing. I just internally consider the cost of the people I have to hire to be a fishing expense (or golf expens, or whatever my all encompassing hobby is at the time)

lol.....lmao too funny :lol: I guess I'm lucky, growing up in a family full of carpenters.

Home Depot BLOWS I HATE shopping there!! I was there today and got so P*ssed off I left as they couldn't find what I was looking for (after 1/2 an hour), even though the computer said there was 5 in stock (and that was 2 employees looking for me)!

Sheesh, if it wasn't for the fact that I live less then 5 blocks away, I would boycott them all together...

Argh!!!

P

I gave up giving Home Depot my money years ago.

One of 3 incidences that ticked me off , ll in the same month, about them was a Sunday where it was pouring rain. I was planning to extend the deck so it went around the hot tub, but no outside work that day. HD was running a how-to seminar on building decks that day, so over I went.

Even though it was advertised on a sign as you walked in nobody knew anything about it. Customer service said they usually run seminars over this way. Someone else said deck building seminars are usually held over that way by the computer with the planning software on it. I stood beside the computer waiting for about half an hour. Staff walked by & nodded, but just kept going. One guy passed me without asking if i needed anything, then came back a couple minutes later with a customer to use the computer. Still ignoring me.

That's when I left. The only time I've been back since that month was when someone asked if I could go with them to haul some materials. I starteddriving to the Totem in Airdrie instead of going to to the HD 5 minutes away.

BBT, I noticed the logo up there too...LMAO :lol:

As the instructions said I needed silicone sealant..there was some kind of putty type stuff there before. I now need to go hit the store again but for now that leak is going drip into a bucket. I am sure tomorrow it will get fixed.

dont put silicone on a drain, if u gota take it apart again itll be a pain in the ass! i would use some pipe dope, unless its the sink outlet then putty or silicone

dont put silicone on a drain, if u gota take it apart again itll be a pain in the ass! i would use some pipe dope, unless its the sink outlet then putty or silicone

mmmmmm pipe dope..... :blink: i hate home depot as well. Would rather go to Revy. I agree with the pipe dope or get some liquid thread sealer. We use that at work and it's the bomb. mmmm pipe dope

True 45° miter joints are a myth. They do not exist in the universe. That's why they sell paintable silicone caulking.

Just renovted a 100 plus year old house...........not me just my money........i learned new math (and a few new curse word from the handy man)when putting up crown moulding and oher trim that 39 + 42 degrees equal 90.................. so much for doing all the cutting in one room.

Just renovted a 100 plus year old house...........not me just my money........i learned new math (and a few new curse word from the handy man)when putting up crown moulding and oher trim that 39 + 42 degrees equal 90.................. so much for doing all the cutting in one room.

He sure does do math good......end sarcasm.

45 mitres are one of the easiest joints to cut (as long as the corner was square to begin with), especially if you're not coping the joint (nothing to do with pipe dope).

Ohmigod!!!........It was a kinda golden brown, wasn't it?????..............And wider than it was tall???............I still have MY copy in the garage..........And it got me through a couple of basements too........................Jeeeeeez!!!!!....................Old farts are us for sure!!!! :(:(

Guest Sundancefisher

UPDATE

It has been five days and the sink is not leaking.

I used some plumbers putty a buddy had and torqued hard on the nut tightening...

Looks like it worked. Very happy.

Now the wife needs me today to do:

Clean out water softener

replace 4 light fixtures

clean closet

figure out timed light system

review window replacement quote...yikes $35 K - anyone know if there is a eco rebate program in effect at the moment?