Fly Fusion Forums

Kelowna Being Overrun By Bunnies

http://www.ctvbc.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNe...ishColumbiaHome

Kelowna's rabbit population multiplies

Updated: Fri Mar. 21 2008 18:51:01

Residents in Kelowna are in disagreement over how to handle a surge in the rabbit population. Rabbits in the area are multiplying quickly and becoming a pest, according to some. Female rabbits give birth to as many as seven babies every 31 days.

"You can't drive to work in the morning without running over one the odd time," said Daren Korluk, a local resident.

Paul Bingham, a local farmer, says they are European rabbits. "European rabbits should be considered the same as rats and mice," he said. "They're vermin."

But some people disagree.

"Culled? No. Definitely not," said Kyle, another local resident. "We don't want to be known as the bunny killing fields here," said one woman, who wants to help save the rabbits. Which is why she, and others, arm themselves with nets, before sneaking up on the animals in the hope of saving them. The group of volunteers catches the rabbits and releases them about 30 kilometres from the city limits.

"We'll take them to the vet, have them spayed or neutered," said Sinikka Crosland of the Responsible Animal Care Society. "So any bunny released onto that acreage will be spayed or neutered."

The veterinary fees for each rabbit are between $30 to $40. But until residents and the city decide how to handle the problem, the fate of each rabbit rests in whoever spots one first.

With a report from CTV British Columbia's Sarah Galashan

I bet a few people on here could come up with a solution...

Guest bigbadbrent

I knew there was something going on when i started tying bully flies again

must be that full moon

kelowna, hope you got a crosscut machine!

Saw this on the news. The farmer had shot 25 in one day at one part of his orchard. The rabbits had ringed the base of a bunch of his trees. Are the bunny lovers going to buy new trees? The damage was in the $$thousands.

It looks like the problem is already past their control with the bunnies spreading to the country. There should be some fat predators for a few years if they allowed nature to take it's course.

Guest Sundancefisher

When I was growing up in Edmonton I had a Portugese buddy living two doors down. We would go over all the time to play with the rabbits and let them run around the back yard.

For some reason though after a big holiday feast they were gone... I figured they went to that farm where my old dog was sent...

Oh wait... You don't think they would of... No they couldn't have! I can not believe it...

AHHHHHHH! It is true... They ate FLUFFY!

YUMMM

The small town I live in is over run with them, they just end up turning into zonker strips when they come on my property. European rabbits are also really good eating so......

quick hijack...i do believe you still owe me some rabbit and deer jeff...still waiting patiently... :rolleyes:

quick hijack...i do believe you still owe me some rabbit and deer jeff...still waiting patiently... :rolleyes:

I suppose I could go digging through my freezer full of dead bats and birds and find the frozen rabbit pelts. I may have some time this week to salt them out and do a bit of fleshing. Maybe I'll make a trip in and fish NS and drop you off some fur. The deer fur can be brought in at that time too!!!

Thread hijak over :rolleyes: