Fly Fusion Forums

Online Disclosure Of Fishing Holes

you also may have noticed my complete lack of specifics in all reports now..fish #, pics, location, flies, etc etc....

yup its turning too *hit really..........

Some of the best fun I've had fishing in the last decade was catching fish out of one of the heaviest fished, with most visible fish and highly trafficked location in Calgary. I'm speaking, of course, of the McKenzie Lake-Deer Run Footbridge in good old Fish Creek. The challenge is to catch fish in everbody's spot!

lmao im not alone.......good practice for the yankee streams

great thread but like brent said our community imho is a little shut now because of a few badapples........................... discretion is important but.....

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From someone who is trying to get this amazing and exceptionally frustrating sport figured out, I agree with Max. BigBadBrown told me about this great site that would help me find some holes - which would take one of my concerns away...already self-conscious about my hack of a cast and complete lack of presentation skills! ha!

I would never expect highly detailed instructions (12 paces east of the big tree, look for the orange rock...) but us newbies need help sometimes (or in my case, all the time :huh: ) Might make more of us passionate about the sport instead of demoralized! HA! Although I do understand wanting to keep the pressure down...

I guess i'm torn...

The unfortunate truth (and I hope I'm wrong) is the site is on the slippery slope. Once a fishing website gets really popular, there will always be issues with posting, however general, of fishing locations, techniques, etc. Once that happens, people get afraid to post reports. Once that happens, the site begins to loose relevance. One of the things that make the sites popular in the first place are fishing reports. You can only read about technique and tips so much, and the locker room banter gets a bit old. People want to read about other people having success so they have a better feeling about having success themselves.

As for me, I'll continue to post fishing reports as long as I go fishing. I will probably rarely give anything other than general locale, but I will try to give what type of water I was fishing and what works, or what didn't work. I sincerely hope that the people better than me (which is almost everyone) continues to do the same so I can continue to learn.

I guess i'm torn...

BrianS ... there's a few pockets I'd be quite willing to tell you about, with detailed specifics, to help you as you're getting started. You can probably appreciate I don't really want to advertise them here but as a neophyte to the sport I'd be willing to share. If we don't help the new comers to this sport at least a little bit, we're doing ourselves a disservice. PM me your e-mail address.

My thoughts are that there aren't any secret spots on the Bow anyway, there are some really hard ones to get to though. Look at the latest Humblefisherman vid, I think just about everyone on this board fishes there. I found it while fishing on the other side of the river and saw a fellow there hauling out a hawg. So I made a mental note and hit it later. Good spot, but there are plenty of others and I know that there are some spots that I haven't fished and that I have not seen mentioned here that have plenty of fish, because there are a lot of fish in the Bow. Now as far as the little creeks and rivers go, I will report that I fished the Legendary River or Frenchmans Creek and what my results were and even the flies I used. I won't give locations, and on the real fragile creeks I won't even give the name. Those waters don't hold a lot of fish and I have seen lots of fish that have obviously been caught repeatedly. I did my research via map and bushwhacking and anyone is welcome to fish there if they find it on their own. Besides that is one of the rewards of flyfishing, finding a spot and catching fish there, that's what makes it "your spot". Even if everyone else here has fished it too.

One of the things that make the sites popular in the first place are fishing reports. You can only read about technique and tips so much, and the locker room banter gets a bit old. People want to read about other people having success so they have a better feeling about having success themselves.

As for me, I'll continue to post fishing reports as long as I go fishing. I will probably rarely give anything other than general locale, but I will try to give what type of water I was fishing and what works, or what didn't work. I sincerely hope that the people better than me (which is almost everyone) continues to do the same so I can continue to learn.

Totally agree. Fishing info is the main reason I have checked boards. I also appreciate the info given out by the shops, such as the Crowsnest Angler site.

Totally agree. Fishing info is the main reason I have checked boards. I also appreciate the info given out by the shops, such as the Crowsnest Angler site.

As a newbie to the sport, I think that half the fun of fly fishing is finding runs myself. I wouldn't be interested in finding coordinates to other peoples fishing holes simply because I would want to explore and find out places that I will enjoy. If I were really that concerned with actually getting loads of fish, I wouldn't be addicted to the sport of Flyfishing without even catching my first fish. The desire to catch and keep catching fish is my motivator to keep getting out and fishing, but by no means is it necessary for me to enjoy myself on the river.

As a newbie to the sport, I think that half the fun of fly fishing is finding runs myself. I wouldn't be interested in finding coordinates to other peoples fishing holes simply because I would want to explore and find out places that I will enjoy. If I were really that concerned with actually getting loads of fish, I wouldn't be addicted to the sport of Flyfishing without even catching my first fish. The desire to catch and keep catching fish is my motivator to keep getting out and fishing, but by no means is it necessary for me to enjoy myself on the river.

I totally see that, but sometimes being told a good section of river helps. like check out this river between this bridge and this bridge, but being shown exactly when a single or group of holes is kind of sucks the fun out of it.

Rant continues....,

Taken from above " I wouldn't be interested in finding coordinates to other peoples fishing holes simply because I would want to explore and find out places that I will enjoy. "

Hang on, I need to check my GPS.

Nope, there's no fish there.

Big part of this sport is experimentation and exploration.

Not " coordinates ".

Sorry coordinate guy, but, you need to pound some bush.

chronie63

If you are an experienced fisherman, I totally agree that finding your own water is more satisfying. Or discovering a new pocket in a place that's been fished a 1000 times is fun too. But for someone brand new, this activity is pretty tough. Pointing them to a section of water that holds fish and showing them how to do it can help them out immensely. They don't have to wonder if they are fishing the right spot, and can Work on technique and build confidence. As they learn to catch, thet will naturally start looking for their own water.

Now, would I show someone new my most productive spots? No. But will I show them popular city runs? You bet. I've said this before. To me, one of the primary functions of this board should be the promotion of the sport. I've had many people on this board help me out and show me locations. It has shortened my learning curve immensely . I feel obligated to return the favor. For those who don't agree, I politely say tough *hit.