Fly Fusion Forums

Oil Sands Documentary Tonight (thursday)

Thought some of you might be interested in watching the following documentary tonight on the CBC.

http://www.cbc.ca/doczone/tarsands/

I believe it will air at 7pm Mountain (9 Eastern).

For all the market-liberating-conservatives out there there, I have been told that this particular show will NOT open with hippies sitting around a campfire smoking doobies singing kum-bay-ah. Who knows, you might even find it balanced as CAPP is listed as one of the external sources of information.

For those without much knowledge of oil sands, it would be a good opportunity to learn what much of the royalty hype is about in Alberta since Stelmach took office.

Unfortunately I'll be in transit when it airs.

Its on again Sunday night on CBC Newsworld at 6 PM.

Reading the synopsis, it looks very balanced. As long as your version of balance leans WAY to the left! Here is a balanced quote:

"As Fort McMurray bursts at the seams, children from Thunder Bay to Cape Breton are made tar-sands orphans by their migrant-worker parents. Canada's petrodollar breaks the back of the manufacturing economy in the East. Cancer rates skyrocket downstream of Fort McMurray while Rocky Mountain glaciers melt and disappear. And all the while, Alberta crude goes south to U.S. markets while Eastern Canada pays ever more for insecure Middle East oil."

Doom, despair, and agony on me!

Deep dark depression, excessive misery.

But I useta like settin' 'round the fire hackin' on a number!!!!!!!!

"Where, oh where, are you tonight?

Why did you leave me here all alone?

I searched the world over, and I thought I'd found true love,

Then you met another, and PFFFT! You was gone!"

Rickr,

Watched the program. Saw how three previous Alberta Premiers looked at things. Realized that Peter Loughheed got it right and wished for Danny Williams, the premier of Newfoundland to move out here. That boy has balls.

And rick, watch the show. Would give you an historical perspective of Alberta.

Just wished Ft. MC. was located @ Canmore. Wonder how things might be different.

Don

Rickr,

Watched the program. Saw how three previous Alberta Premiers looked at things. Realized that Peter Loughheed got it right and wished for Danny Williams, the premier of Newfoundland to move out here. That boy has balls.

And rick, watch the show. Would give you an historical perspective of Alberta.

Just wished Ft. MC. was located @ Canmore. Wonder how things might be different.

Don

Don,

I fully intend to watch. I`m really not as conservative as I pretend sometimes!

Buy stock, then it's you who reaps the benefit of Alberta "giving it away". I bought Exxon shares, and it has paid for all my gasoline purchases for the last 8 years.

Thanks for the tip... I'll get a cash advance on my VISA so I can do that. ;)

.....Just wished Ft. MC. was located @ Canmore. Wonder how things might be different.

Don

I'm not getting into this one this time, I promise. :angry:

I just wanted to once again point out a great point made by Don. I love the way you think Don.

Things might be different, but look what they did to the former mountains near Exshaw for rocks. I can't imagine what they'd do for Oil....

I'm not getting into this one this time, I promise. :angry:

I just wanted to once again point out a great point made by Don. I love the way you think Don.

Things might be different, but look what they did to the former mountains near Exshaw for rocks. I can't imagine what they'd do for Oil....

Hardly compares No?

seebehu7.jpg

ftmacsh2.jpg

Oh, and Danny Williams will be paying full market value for the assets he buys, which is why the oil companies are willing to sell a portion at this time. Nfld. is fully on the hook when the costs increase and oil prices fall.

Someone should read the MOU on Hebron(730 million barrel), 110 million for 4.9%...........plus $3.50 per barrel for processing............................hardly market price, you do the math at 6 billion start-up. Also 4.9% on White Rose expansion (214 million barrels) for 44 million (1.3 billion expansion) plus $3.50 per barrel, again market price.......don't think so. Weather NL is on the hook for incresaing cost.....................might be in the fine print, but I haven't seen it in the MOU and difenitly not in the press release. I'm sure Mr. Williams is aware of fine print....................unlike others.

Guest Sundancefisher
Hardly compares No?

seebehu7.jpg

ftmacsh2.jpg

Sigh...I must...comment....also.....

What does it do to show an aerial view of an industrial development. You want to see a massive footprint look at ANY urban area in Alberta. You want to see an even more dramatic footprint on the "NATURAL" environment look at any aerial view of the agricultural area within Alberta. Cities, farms, roads, dams, wind farm etc. all "ruin" the environment to some form or another. Each special interest group says theirs does not but only the "oil patch" is forced to really do anything about it and they merrily do go about reclaiming and mitigating changes brought on the environment by oil and gas development as it is part of doing business.

People decry the removal of oil from the oil sands and yet this is the same oil that has been draining into the Athabasca River naturally over millions of years. These mines etc. will eventually be reclaimed as part of the process. In the meanwhile I just wished bleeding hearts from areas located far away would do their part to clean up their own backyard before telling others to clean up theirs.

Reduce, reuse and recycle folks! Carpool and ride public transit! Lower your heat and drive smaller vehicles. etc. etc. etc.

Cheers.

Sun

P.S. People...please stop comparing Alberta's oil patch to the East Coast. They are like comparing apples to donuts...or like comparing kids trikes to semi trucks... Economics of scale are completely different. :-)

OFFS.... of course man has a impact and he's been changin' his environment ever since he quit beenin' the hunted and became the hunter... I wasn't quite born yesterday FFSNNs