Fly Fusion Forums

Coming To Fish The Bow

fish432

Going to be in Calgary for april to may. I have only fished the bow once a while ago but that was late summer . What should I be tying for patterns? I know sjws and small nymphs but what size and colours are the goto ones??

Thanks

Being an outsider, that info will cost ya!! :P :P So book a walk and wade with maxwell or another of our stellar guides ;)

P

P.S Scroll through the "reports" thread, you should find all the info you'll need...

P.S.S. Oh yeah, save some of the fish for us locals ;)

Going to be in Calgary for april to may. I have only fished the bow once a while ago but that was late summer . What should I be tying for patterns? I know sjws and small nymphs but what size and colours are the goto ones??

Thanks

Fish432,

Of course you know I'm just kidding ;)

Lots of hatch charts listed online, and as I've already mentioned on his site.

Good luck and happy tying!

P

If you know how to nymph the BOW you'll be fine. If you don't give Max a call.

Nymphs (9ft leader, indicator set at end of fly line giving you 9ft leader to first fly, one foot to second fly, add a third if you want, make sure it's gently tapping bottom in the run your fishing and not getting hung all the time. If your getting hung move indicator up to 7ft and try there, move as neccessary. If your not tapping bottom add split shot till you are, and THEN adjust the indicator... use an indicator that's going to float a bunch of weight, ie, yarn ones are trash...)

#4-10 sjw

#18-20 midge

#18-20 bloodworm

#8-16 caddis larvae

#16-20 pheasant tail

#12-18 hare's ear

Guest bigbadbrent
If you know how to nymph the BOW you'll be fine.

Chances are if you know how to nymph, it will transfer over just fine without having to have nymphed the bow before hand

and that's why countless people start threads like "frustrated with the bow" right???

I've guided hundreds of LOCAL people on the Bow Brent, most were good nymphers and couldn't figure out the Bow. If this guys only got a short time and wants to maximize his enjoyment, hire a guide for a day and shorten the learning curve. If he wants a challenge, he can head down there and see what "frustrated with the bow" is like, and battle through it on his own.

last time I fished the bow was late summer five years back and I nymphed with the tandem rig for the few hours of the morning I fished I got half a dozen trout and a couple white fish. I tend to like bobber fishing and compared to my trout streams the Bow has huge numbers. So hopefully I will do just as well.

Thanks