Fly Fusion Forums

Self Inflating Life Vests

alhuger

I am looking to buy some self inflating life vests (the type which are filled automatically by CO2 cannisters) for my boat and for fishing the river. Does anyone know where I can find them in Calgary?

-al

AL,

Snowbee is bringing out 2 new life vests..one in a fly vest style and the other in the body strap style..won't be available until mid April or so

C

Finally a fly vest style vest that isn't about your ears all the time!!

Wholesale Sports may carry them. My Stearns Steelheader vest came in self inflating or manual inflating models. I chose manual because I was kind of worried about self inflation in the rain? May not be a concern, but wasn't sure. I know Mustang and SOS makes them in self inflating. SOS is not a fishing vest, but you wear it over your head and strapped around your waist or mid section. Best to try them on if you can. I think you may have to order them as most dealers carry the manual inflatable kind that still uses the cartridge, you pull the cord that is up on the chest of the vest......Kerry

http://chetcomarine.com/index.asp?PageActi...mp;Category=145

Be careful which one you buy -- some are not Transport Canada approved. For example, the Mustang fishing vest style inflatible is NOT approved while the Mustang collar type inflatible is approved . I bought the former without knowing. As I recall, it has to do with the requirements for anything called a "vest" being different than for other types of PFD. Anyway, make sure you check for the Transport Canada label. Terry

Be careful out there.

Flotation devices made in the USA and overseas may not and probably are not approved for use in Canada.

But you are SAVED! Here's your chance to get better equipment, made in Canada, approved for Canada and sold in Canada. Of course, you can use them in the US. CDN standards are higher. No surprise there.

There are 2 suspender types built in Canada. Nautilus and Mustang - both are DOT approved for use in Canada. Both are available in CDN stores. Wholesale, Fishin Hole and Canadian Tire sells one or the other.

See for Nautilus: http://nautilusbyprotexion.com/Catalogues/...Eng%207to14.pdf

See Mustang: http://www.mustangsurvival.com/products/category.php?t=1

I have one of each. Both are good. The Nautilus is mine, the Mustang is my wife's.

catch ya'

Don