Fly Fusion Forums

Why We Need Stream Watch

dryfly

You might find this interesting. One assumes the unnamed lake is Bullshead.

February 20, 2008

TORONTO MAN NETS BIG FINE FOR TOO MANY ALBERTA FISH

MARATHON — A Toronto man has been fined $4,500 after pleading guilty to having more fish than allowed.

Charles Wong, 51, also had his fishing licence suspended for one year and forfeited the fish and two coolers to the Crown after being found with 53 rainbow trout over the legal limit.

During a police stop for a Highway Traffic Act offense in April 2007, an Ontario Provincial Police officer discovered the fish in Wong’s vehicle. The officer contacted a conservation officer from the Ministry of Natural Resources in Manitouwadge. After an investigation, the conservation officer laid charges against Wong.

Wong had been fishing near Medicine Hat, Alberta. The possession limit for rainbow trout is five in both Alberta and Ontario. ... AND NONE < 50 cm IN BULLSHEAD. (It is possible he was fishing elsewhere, but where else could you catch uniform largish trout like that? Other than a stocked pond.)

poaching.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW what an a$$h0le....... I am really glad to see them issue a fine of that size...... $4500 is a pretty good deterent. But the big question is how did this prick get off the lake, outta alberta, through 2 provinces to get caught by the ontario police? Seems to me this is in more ways then one another failure of Alberta enforcement...... edit in sorry I don't realy mean to rag on albertas enforcement but this guys should have been caught right at the lake imho

I am soooooo glad he got caught. The fine is good, I kinda wish that all his fishing equipment got taken too, and a fishing suspension for a bit longer woulda been nice too. I can't believe some people, it is disgusting to think that this goes on. I wish too that he got it at the lake where it happened, but at least he got it.

Guest Rocknbugs
I am soooooo glad he got caught. The fine is good, I kinda wish that all his fishing equipment got taken too, and a fishing suspension for a bit longer woulda been nice too. I can't believe some people, it is disgusting to think that this goes on. I wish too that he got it at the lake where it happened, but at least he got it.

Suspension?? people like this guy dont need a license, its what is so inferiating about this. He will be right back doing it again ****ing idiot learn how to read 5 not 50.....makes me sick. $4500.00 is great and all but the body of water is now out 53 quality fish and having money in hand doesnt change that. I would also like to point out the obvious but I guess I cant do that here!!! Sorry for the rant but this stuff truely drives me wild.

holy crap thats absolutely ridiculous, how can you morally take that many fish...would you not feel like your destroying the place...hmm 50 fish, thats seems fair mabye i should catch 5 more and bring it to a total of 55. Honestly he much be half retarded.

would you not feel like your destroying the place...

Hmmm...........Wong???...........From Ontario???............Fishing a lake near Medicine Hat????............Why would HE care if he's destroying the place??........And I agree with those who've said suspending his liscense for a year is in the WGAF category 'cause this dude likely doesn't buy a liscense anyway............Did someone say shoot him in the kneecap??............... :(:(

He's got a lot of balls to be poaching a lake like Bullshead if that was the case. I couldn't even imagine what would happen if this ***hole was to have been caught red handed by a group of law abiding fisherman with a haul like that. I don't think anyone is that stupid, I would guess this was the result of either a group effort or a few days poaching on his part and he was taking the loot home to Ontario to dispose of in who knows what way.

Holy sh*t thats a lot of fish! :angry:

The sad thing is this goes on everywhere, but good thing the Ontario police caught him. Personally I find the whole situation ironic, man from Ontario, poaches in Alberta, leaves Alberta, drives through two provinces and then is caught in his home province.

That says something for our provincial enforcement, doesn't it?

Back home in NS if you take ONE lobster when it's not season they'll take everything you own and have with you ON THE SPOT!

True enough Birchy. That's if it's the police that catch you. Screw with a lobster fishermen's trap and you'll wish the police were there.

It's amazing that no one noticed this turd, you'd think with all the people around opening month.

It's amazing that no one noticed this turd, you'd think with all the people around opening month.

Looks like those fish had been frozen to me.......I'd bet he could have fished it BEFORE it was open...........A guy who'd whack that many fish would likely break ALL the rules........

That's just... well... pisses me off to the extreme that people can get away with this for next to nothing. 4500 bucks is a step in the right direction, but his vehicle should have been taken too. I want to see a picture of this dude. We all should, so we can kick his friggin a$$ next time we see him at bullshead which will be this coming season... since they didn't take away the vehicle...

Now I am the last person you should ever accuse of racism, but WONG isn't a Canadian name. And from what I've seen on the BC coast. That type of last name is responsible for the complete destruction of crab, shellfish and cod populations anywhere near an accessible coastline.

Personal opinion. Don't play the racist card with me, OK?

Well, I disagree with your comments TaKo.... FYI...Wong is indeed a Canadian name, with a Canadian Heritage that goes back more than a century in this country. I also find it kind of ridiculous to insinuate that poaching has a name and that it's name is Wong, or more broadly "that type of name"...That is kind of ridiculous if you think about it.

A poacher is a criminal and criminals can be found anywhere on the planet. So, though your intent is not to come across as racist, your statements are clearly crossing that line. So, if this is just a case of a bad choice of words on your part, I'd suggest a little editing of your post.

Great thread Dryfly. Thanks for posting.

My two bits about this....

1) Glad this guy was caught and he got what he deserved in the end, only thing that sucks is because he was caught in ontario then the fine goes to the Ontario Chapter of Trout Unlimited which if you ask me is stupid but oh well.

2) Lots of people are talking a whole lot and doing nothing, we do have a auction going on right now that can help prevent this kind of thing from happening in the future on other lakes and river.

3) Alot of times I also notice that most Anglers avoid each other (espically the gear crowd and the FF'ers) we need to be friendly and interact with each other so we can spot this stuff and ALL as a FISHING COMMUNITY protect the waters that we enjoy.