Fly Fusion Forums

Why?

ladystrange

I have been in a plethora of swaps. Been swapping since sometime in '96. I have held a few and sure from either perspective I have had flops. Sometimes it is this wierd failing of some of the swappers to actually read the destructions of the swap and sometimes it was life stuff getting in the way.

I have NEVER worried about the quality of flies I received. Many new tyers want to enter a swap and they are scared to because they are not as proficient as they wish to be. I encourage them because swaps make all of us better tyers. To get all bent out of shape over a couple of flies that were not up to "our" standards may be kind of unfair to the guy or girl who is trying to be a better tyer through a swap. Perhaps soomeone should hold a swap for only the really good tyers.

Time is always a factor and I respect that. Some of us just want to tie for ourselves and friends and I respect that as well, but swaps are a part of this community and I believe that we need to look on them as a communal project and part of what makes this site what it is.

I should note that over the last 12 years I have only been screwed out of flies three times. Once for a swap of 22 flies each, then another for a swap of 12 flies each and the last was for another dozen or so. So getting ripped off once every four years is the trade-off.

If you are worried about the quality of your flies I would say don't. You only get better with practice and help. Swapmeisters and other swappers have always been helpful to me when learning new skills through a swap and we as a community should be helping new tyers improve, shouldn't we? Or have I got the philosophy of a flyfishing community all wrong?

To be honest I really didn't care that two of the flies were falling apart, what I would have liked was the list of materials along with the names of the flies (that was part of the swap) so that I could make a few for myself. Everyone has to start somewhere (usually at the beginning) when it comes to tying flies, and I know that some are new at the tying thing and will get better with more practice. Russ C

To be honest I really didn't care that two of the flies were falling apart, what I would have liked was the list of materials along with the names of the flies (that was part of the swap) so that I could make a few for myself. Everyone has to start somewhere (usually at the beginning) when it comes to tying flies, and I know that some are new at the tying thing and will get better with more practice. Russ C

Russ: Almost all the swaps I host come with a pdf booklet containing recipes and photo of each fly. These pdfs really seem to go over well with those that participate in these said swaps.

As for giving up your secret flies to those that use this as a reason; no one is asking you for your secret fly.....besides your secret fly is most likely a variation of some old tried an true pattern from long ago anyway....... very few patterns are "new" in an original sense these days.

For you newbies: don't be afraid to enter swaps as it's a great way to get sample models of flies tied that are not readily or even available at your local shop. Another thing you can do is ask questions directly to those participating in the swaps you are in if you have any questions of a particular fly in the swap.

some great responses. i feel a little better knowing that there are new people willing to test their abilities. Mike, you know you can ask me... oh wait, you already do ;)

j/k.

as for asking questions, i can't tell you how many times i have asked for tips and ideas, techniques and patterns for swaps in the last 6 months. everyone on FFC and UK fly dressers has been fantastic at helping out. i have definately learned new techniques, tried new materials (beads) and found easier ways of doing things as well that i really like the way beads look. i started tying about 4 years ago give or take but only half heartedly, i'd tie a few and then put it down for half a year then do a few more and so on. the last year i have tying more frequently and the last 6 months with a number of different swaps i have found my tying becoming much improved.

as for time factor, i have trouble tying without some noise, and i prefer the tv, but i dont have a tv. so i throw a movie or fly fishing video into the computer rather than not tie. honestly, if you have a few hours each night to surf the forums and other fishing websites, you have the time to tie 3 or 4 flies a night and then your swap is done within a week. Brian was a little closer to the truth and that is not wanting to make the time, not that we dont have the time.

i got to spend an hour or so with Troutlover and give a few tips and pointers tonight, i hope i can do that for a few other members as well - todd, ryan, mike??

i have trouble tying without some noise, and i prefer the tv, but i dont have a tv. so i throw a movie or fly fishing video into the computer rather than not tie.

I need the background noise too, guess I'm used to it from work. My problem is I start watching TV, get distracted & end up not tying anything. A movie I've seen before or the radio works better for me.

LS you know I'm going to ask you for help if I get stuck. I'll repay the favor by helping keep your truck on the road. :lol:

Russ: Almost all the swaps I host come with a pdf booklet containing recipes and photo of each fly. These pdfs really seem to go over well with those that participate in these said swaps.

As for giving up your secret flies to those that use this as a reason; no one is asking you for your secret fly.....besides your secret fly is most likely a variation of some old tried an true pattern from long ago anyway....... very few patterns are "new" in an original sense these days.

For you newbies: don't be afraid to enter swaps as it's a great way to get sample models of flies tied that are not readily or even available at your local shop. Another thing you can do is ask questions directly to those participating in the swaps you are in if you have any questions of a particular fly in the swap.

I don't recall saying anything about secret flies? I don't think that I have any. Maybe you where referring to someone else? I pretty much use and tie flies that have worked for me over the years that I have been active in the sport. If when I am on the water and having success someone approaches me to ask what I am using I always give them a fly or three to use and share as much information as they would like to hear. No secrets here I love to share and help people along that may have questions. The pfd booklet you provide sounds like a great idea and very helpful to those that participate in your swaps.

Russ C

I don't recall saying anything about secret flies? I don't think that I have any. Maybe you where referring to someone else? I pretty much use and tie flies that have worked for me over the years that I have been active in the sport. If when I am on the water and having success someone approaches me to ask what I am using I always give them a fly or three to use and share as much information as they would like to hear. No secrets here I love to share and help people along that may have questions. The pfd booklet you provide sounds like a great idea and very helpful to those that participate in your swaps.

Russ C

I was addressing several posts at once in my first response to you........I know bad habit of mine for answering one post at a time with just one post. The pdfs do take some effort and most appreciate it. The secret flies comment was directed at several others that read this stuff some post some just hang around lurking.

LD,

The reason I don't particapate is because from Monday to Friday I work 8 hours and then if time permits in the Spring/Summer/Fall I like to sneak out for a couple of hours of fishing.

If I am not fishing and at the ting bench I am usally replenishing my own boxes....

Also I only know how to tie what works for me on the river, since that is why I took up Fly Ting (Sick and tired of the days when I need a bug and did'nt have it and don't want to go the the Fly Shop to buy it.)

And in ending I personally don't think I would enjoy it that much.......

:(