Fly Fusion Forums

Stolen Vehicle..

so woke up this morning to find my blazer has disappeared. beginning to love calgary. right before my reading week and had a trip planned that involved myself driving so guess that will be a no go..... birchy, how long did it take to find yours?

oh word to the wise...take out your bike, fishing gear and everything else....~$3k of *hit left in my vehicle...

are you serious? That sucks big time sorry to hear about that.....Man I think those SUV's must be the hottest target for thieves..... Did you lose all your fishing gear?

lost 2 rods and 2 reels. one of which was my friends..along with a friends bike..took out my waders and backpack the night before...

That REALLY hurts! Sorry to hear.

Too bad we don't have public floggings. One or two lashes would curb 80 percent of vandalism, car thefts, willful property damage and assorted other minor offenses that cost a LOT of money and generally annoying.

so woke up this morning to find my blazer has disappeared. beginning to love calgary. right before my reading week and had a trip planned that involved myself driving so guess that will be a no go..... birchy, how long did it take to find yours?

oh word to the wise...take out your bike, fishing gear and everything else....~$3k of *hit left in my vehicle...

I hate this fr!ggin city dude!

It didn't take long to find ours because they crashed it. I got the phone call from the mounties letting us know they had it before we even realized it was gone!

The whole process from when it was stolen to when we bought our new one was approximately one month.

That sucks man. I had the same thing happen a few years ago, civic stolen out of my driveway with all my climbing, bike and fishing gear in it. I got lucky and they only took it for a joyride, didn't take anything, even the leatherman that was sitting on the front seat. Hopefully, you get lucky and it comes back soon. Don't bother calling the cops to check up on it. I was told when I reported it stolen not to bother calling as they won't help me, too many stolen cars not enough man power.

Good luck, hope it come back in one piece.

On the news this morning they showed that the city police were handing out free steering wheel clubs at one of the C-train park and rides. You know it's a major problem when...

Thats what they where doing, crap now i wish i did use the busy line for once. Oh well, perhaps another time.

That sucks dude, I'll lone you a set up to keep you fishing until you can replace yours if you want

Thanks for the offer. Fortunately I have a spare rod and reel that I can use. But thanks anyways.

Found out that my rods aren't covered under my auto insurance, but under my home insurance...but my deductible is 2,500....so looks like I will be screwed for that *hit...

at least I get a free rental car...

How old were these vehicles? Did they have engine immobilizers?

I just bought a new vehicle and just assumed that with an immobilizer I didn't need to worry about an alarm or any other deterrents. Do I have a false sense of security?

And Birchy...if you think this is bad you should try Vancouver. I had my trucke broken into three times in the 18 months I lived there. The only thing stolen was my radio but they did damage the lock such that I had to get in through the passenger seat.

I do hope they recover your Blazer and belongings. And if they nab the thieves I hope they throw the book at 'em.

Tight lines,

PMD

I just bought a new vehicle and just assumed that with an immobilizer I didn't need to worry about an alarm or any other deterrents. Do I have a false sense of security?

And Birchy...if you think this is bad you should try Vancouver. I had my trucke broken into three times in the 18 months I lived there. The only thing stolen was my radio but they did damage the lock such that I had to get in through the passenger seat. Damn BC junkies.

Tight lines,

PMD

my vehicle was a 2003. not sure if i had an immobilizer....80$ for an alarm isnt bad i figure now....

And Birchy...if you think this is bad you should try Vancouver. I had my trucke broken into three times in the 18 months I lived there. The only thing stolen was my radio but they did damage the lock such that I had to get in through the passenger seat.

Had my car broken into twice in one week in Vancouver, hadn't even gotten around to replacing the window when they busted in the other one, damn crack heads!!

Sucks about the house insurance deductible, too bad they didn't get your 8 other very high end fly rods with matching reels when they stole your truck. And the insurance companies wonder why theres so much insurance fraud.

Colin

I had my 96 Saturn SL1 stolen from my back alley last thrusday morning. I reported it stolen because I didn't want to be accused of committing a crime with it ("Why didn't you report it stolen, boy?").

They called me monday saying it was at the impound. $100 and 2hr of waiting/processing, I got the car back. No damage with only a toolbox and some change missing. Only about 50km put on it.

I have AADAC just down the alley from me. I suspect they let someone out that morning and the poor soul didn't have a ride home.

I agree. Don't leave anything of value in your car.

I hope your story ends up as good as mine.

ps. Another example of the Alberta Advantage.

I do hope they recover your Blazer and belongings. And if they nab the thieves I hope they throw the book at 'em.

Tight lines,

PMD

If they want your car bad enough it doesn't matter if you have an immobilizer or alarm. There was a ring of car thieves not long ago that had a connection inside a dealership. They'd scope out the vehicle they wanted, write down the VIN, then get the guy at the dealership to order a key/fob for them. A rolling code scanner will bypass a car alarm within a minute or two. And really, when was the last time you gave a car alarm going off a second glance? Granted, if I was a car thief with access to that sort of thing I'd only be after big money vehicles, but you never know.

If they want your car bad enough it doesn't matter if you have an immobilizer or alarm. There was a ring of car thieves not long ago that had a connection inside a dealership. They'd scope out the vehicle they wanted, write down the VIN, then get the guy at the dealership to order a key/fob for them. A rolling code scanner will bypass a car alarm within a minute or two. And really, when was the last time you gave a car alarm going off a second glance? Granted, if I was a car thief with access to that sort of thing I'd only be after big money vehicles, but you never know.

Yeah, but I bought a Ford. Nobody that sophisticated is going to steal a Ford!

Its true if they really want it nothing will stop them. My beef is with the police. They are more worried about someone doing 10 kph over the speed limit then policing our communitys. Where are the police oh i know hiding behind a sign on 36st trying to fill there speeding ticket quota. I work in the industrial park at night during the summers last year out of the six months of work. I seen the police twice. And once was when i phoned in a supicious vehicle parked outside a next door business. Also my moms car was stolen a couple of years ago it was found 3 days later but did the police bother to check for prints or anything no they told her she had to pick it up right away or they were going to tow it to the impound and charge her towing and storage fees. Sorry for the rant i hope you get your car back in one piece. I second the public flogging motion.

Well hopefully they get all that stuff sorted out for you Din...... Sounds like you got some backup gear so you can still fish....... What'd your buddy say when you told him his stuff was MIA?

Its tough its to blame the the cops to much I figure. I know a few people within the Calgary Police and they are so desperate for more cops right now they'd even let me in..... Also the typical cop answer for the why are you sitting behind that sign arguement would be that they catch more criminals of all types doing that then they do chasing a single relatively minor crime that they have little or no chance to solve.... I think its a valid arguement but it sucks at the same time.

Well hopefully they get all that stuff sorted out for you Din...... Sounds like you got some backup gear so you can still fish....... What'd your buddy say when you told him his stuff was MIA?

Have yet to inform my friend...hoping that everything will show up and then I don't have anything to worry about...

Have yet to inform my friend...hoping that everything will show up and then I don't have anything to worry about...

Get one of the alarms that phones your cell phone, and get yourself a nice peice of 1x1. Scum bags stole my battery once... good thing it only slowed me down from getting to work, if I had been going fishing I would have flipped.

see the best system i found is my P.O.S theft derrent system, cheap an you don't even need to set it. see how it works is you buy a Piece of *hit car that nobody, would want to steal any way, I used to have a 88 Ram that rarley locked the door on never had a problem with theft.

on a serious note my old man uses the Boomerang II system. Basically it is a multiple gps locators stashed on your car (you are not even told where, only the installer knows) and a key fob if your car moves with out the key fob in it the monitoring office notifies police and tracks the car. my fathers Mercedes was located in 10 mins. 5 mins after the company told him it was stolen.