Fly Fusion Forums

What To Do With #24 Midge Hooks?

Lundvike

Ok, so I did a little ebay shopping over the holidays and I have just received a couple of shipments today. One of those came with 50 #24 midge hooks, I can't remember what I was thinking, I may have been drunk. Any thoughts on some patterns to tie? I need a magnifying lamp in order to see them.

LOL. too funny.

btw lundvike, i didnt know you worked with brookwell. took me until today to figure out who the hell he was talking about then he mentioned our 'deal' a troutfitters. so when his burning DVD's ... er ... i mean working... do you tie flies?

try 17/0 black thread and a few pieces of left over fluff secured to the hook. if you can get the hook into the vise without covering the whole thing in the jaws... :P

best of luck, let me know how it works out.

btw lundvike, i didnt know you worked with brookwell. took me until today to figure out who the hell he was talking about then he mentioned our 'deal' a troutfitters. so when his burning DVD's ... er ... i mean working... do you tie flies?

Yes but we don't talk about it, after all its your tax dollars at work. Sorry I should have warned you that I knew him from work. Next time you see him bug him about the deer hair he promised me.

I'm thinking wooly buggers :huh: RS2 is a good pattern, but use CDC rather than hacle webb.

Yeah I was thinking doing some in olive and some in tan with CDC.

Yes but we don't talk about it, after all its your tax dollars at work. Sorry I should have warned you that I knew him from work. Next time you see him bug him about the deer hair he promised me.

what do you need? i have a whole rubber maid container of deer hair in the garage.

i will bug him. i should see him soon

Nice tie tango! Don't forget to crimp your barb LOL. I always find the hardest thing about tying on hook sizes that are real small is getting the vise jaws to hold it proper, But I think 22 is about the smallest have tied...... Can't even get smaller then 18 in canmore. Let us see some of your creations when your done. Maybe try a small clouser

Nice tie tango! Don't forget to crimp your barb LOL. I always find the hardest thing about tying on hook sizes that are real small is getting the vise jaws to hold it proper, But I think 22 is about the smallest have tied...... Can't even get smaller then 18 in canmore. Let us see some of your creations when your done. Maybe try a small clouser

I'll leave the #28/30 clousers to Hans W, I had enough trouble seeing this. As for the vise jaws holding small hooks....... no problem with a LAW. ;)

Tango-

"Peacock herl from the wrong side of the sword feather, red 12/0 thread for the body tag, micro Zelon for the wing and get down into the neck on the cape for the hackle. This is on a #28 TMC100."

Well alrighty then. I should have said Intruder!

If I knew what one looked like I may try it. :lol: