Fly Fusion Forums

Top Five Outdoor Issues

Stelmach is going to call the election likely on Monday after the Throne Speech. What are the top outdoors issues? Or will they even become issues? We don't seem to have much clout these days. Access, population growth, Landuse Framework, Open Spaces inititiative, Water for Life (or is it Water for Dams)...

Remember one of his three campaign planks is Greening Our Growth.

Man this is really a sore point with me. Seems to me Alberta's habitat is being sold down the river. I cannot blame industry so much as the Government, which allows industry to pretty much do what they want....I know an exageration but you get my drift. I want the Government to stop paying lip service to the environment in general and start actually being proactive about protecting it. There will come a day when people will look back at this era with dismay, but by then it could be too late.

In my opinion there has been too much emphasis on the creation of jobs (which cannot be filled as it is) and too little on checks and balances that would help to save our environment now instead of trying to spend billions on reclamation when it is too late.

There is a general fear mongering by the elected party when it comes to doing anything that might disturb their industrial bedfellows.

The eastern cod industry was politicized away and I really see the Alberta environment going in the same direction. Again this is my opinion, but I really want the government to stop treating the public as if they are too ignorant to understand the things they are doing.

7) to the folk's who are employed in oil & gas , I apologize,(sorta) But you have no built in right for employment or eminent domain. If your business tanks, Big Deal...Alberta will still be here

you think if that happens only the people who trip pipe and turn valves will be affected? .. don;t think so pal .. Alberta (the land) will still be here sure, but we'll have no worries about being a "have" province anymore .. what do you think is paying you to build all that *hit up in Balzac? ... oil money ... take away the oil and everyone, including the great Fishead would be unemployed..

NOPE, My business is spread across all economic fronts in Alberta, I have been here long enough to have weathered many economic changes and will still be here when this popcorn fart of an oil based economy bursts..Sorry to burst your bubble...The secret to life here is have no debt, be smart and always look around...Nice try though///

popcorn fart of an oil based economy - LOL -

any product, service or otherwise sold in this province can be traced back to the energy sector one way or another ..every cent..

so live "free" with no debt ( im sure the great Fishead would have it no other way) and keep looking around..cause the energy sector crashes..your gonna have a million oil workers (and i mean direct oil workers) looking for work, not to mention humptine over educated oil suits .. ALL spending will CEASE, and you'll go belly up (pardon the pun) just like the rest of your not so loyal subjects..

EDIT: the cowboys will make 'er .. those bastards can survive anything

Good god! :angry::angry:

'any product, service or otherwise sold in this province can be traced back to the energy sector one way or another ..every cent..'

every cent. yeah sure. that is the most arrogant narrow minded idiotic thing anyone has ever posted here and you owe a lot of people a bloody apology including others in the oil and gas industry who will want to distance themselves from you for that.

0&G is important but you are dead wrong and that is just ignorant. If you have balls you will apologize or edit that out.

I'll apologize to no one and edit nothing, get over yourself, if you have something to add then say your piece....don;t just sit there and say I'm arrogant and narrow minded for voicing my opinion .. does everybody work in O&G .. NO .. is everybody in AB getting rich because of O&G .. YES ... Alberta's build on/in/around O&G, take that away and what would happen? .. business as usual I'm sure

When the oil boom bursts, (and im not talking a slow period like in the mid-late 90's or the early 80's) it's gonna be a bad one, because the next time its gonna be alternate energy to take us down. We live in a oil driven world, that alone should scare the hell out of anybody.

Neil,

1] Land Use - plan forthcoming - we might not like all parts of it but @ least it exists

2] Water - got plan - water for life - again - its flawed - mostly geared to irrigators but they attended the meetings. Where were the rest of us - I didn't see ya'.

3] Farm land destruction. Makes little sense burying some of the best farmland in Alberta under asphalt. Farm land, in the longer term, is all we'll have left.

4] Sustainable agriculture. Over 50% of the top soil is gone between when my grandfather broke the prairie sod and now. While this reduction is slowing, it still exists. Clearly, there is only 6>8" of top soil between me and starving to death. Got to do something about this.

5] The people of Alberta attitude. Purloined from a Trooper song the line goes "We not here for a long time - we're here for a good time". Less this changes we're sunk.

And Neil, there are hundred of site specific issues that require attention NOW. Some will be addressed - some not. Such is life.

catch ya'

Don