Fly Fusion Forums

A Fish Story For A Cold Winter's Night

Man, I don't read the board for an evening and all hell breaks loose. Sounded like fun, wish I could have played.

So while reading some of the replies, particularly from JMasson, I decided to go with a story about fishing the salt in a much warmer climate. Sorry it's not a fly fishing story, but I don't really have many of those, yet.

I hope I don't sound like a wannabe, or a newby, or cliquish, or narrow minded in the telling of this far too long tale.

There is nothing like the anticipation of a multi-day fishing trip with friends. I'm sure everyone reading this knows what I am talking about. The anticipation starts months in advance. You start going to the Fishing shops and stocking up way before the trip, knowing you are buying way more than you could ever use, but somehow unable to stop yourself. You start hiding purchases from your wife, girlfriend, whatever because she already thinks the trip is costing too much money and if she knew how much you were really spending, she would flip.

The days leading up to the trip become almost unbearable. In my case I have a hard time getting to sleep, I organize and reorganize, and always seem to be missing something I cannot do without. Which is amazing because I have everything, except money in my bank account. When you finally leave for the trip the drive down with your friends does nothing so much as build the expectations of the fishing to levels which are usually unattainable. What follows is one such trip to the Breton Islands in Louisiana in June of 2003.

The drive started from Houston at about 5 am, with 8 hrs to go to get to the boat launch in Venice, La. We had a convoy of 3 boats and the anticipation kept building. Unfortunately so did the wind. By the time we hit Venice it was blowing 25 or so and we were not really looking forward to the 10 mile trip across open Gulf of Mexico in boats meant for shallow water. When we left the Mississippi river and crossed into open water it was even rougher than we had feared. The 10 miles took us over an hour instead of the 20 minutes it should have taken. We got to the fishing camp (the camp is a barge converted to a fishing base with beds, AC, satellite tv, deck, a big ass kitchen, and an awesome cajun chef) nestled in a sound behind an island. We were soaking wet and beat to *hit. And the water clarity was crap because of all the wind. So after much debate, the decision was made to not fish that afternoon, but wait until the morning. Not an easy decision to make, but we really only lost a couple of hours of fishing. The beer and food soothed our feelings a bit. Ok, maybe more than a bit. Blackened Amberjack anyone?

The next morning broke calm and clear. We hit the surf just as the sun was breaking the horizon and were just jittery to get at 'em. There were about 8 of us spread out on a sandbar, most of us throwing topwater baits waiting for the first "blow up" as a big trout or redfish slammed the surface lure. But after 10 minutes or so no one has a fish and I'm not noticing any bait activity. This is my first time fishing here, so I ask my friend why we aren't moving. He says "be patient" Screw that, I think. I've fished long enough to know waiting is a total waste if there is no bait activity. So I tell them I'm heading down the beach looking for bait. The laugh at me and say "good luck, but you'll be sorry. We'll be slammin' 'em any minute now."

I started down the beach, a bit nervously for fear they may be right, looking for any sign of life. After 10 minutes or so of walking, I see some nervous water (bait!) and think "ok, here we go". Just as I start into the water, a huge group of birds fly over head that I had spooked off the island. I'm watching them as I make my first cast, and laughing as the odd one dive bombs me to scare me off (the island we are fishing around is a bird sanctuary). Just then, I hear the "blow up", resist the temptation to set the hook early, give the reel a small crank, feel the fish and then slam the rod back. 5 minutes later I'm slipping my hand under 23" of beautiful bronze Redfish. Sweet! I whip out another cast (suddenly paying no attention to the birds) start my "walk the dog" retrieve and am instantly rewarded with blow up #2. But this one is a bit different. We call it a "toilet flush". You have to see one to know why, but only a big fish can make that big of a racket. I hook this big beast, but loose it after 5 minutes. Turns out she had pulled the D-ring right out of my lure as I was near the end of my spool and putting the boots to her. I switch lures, cast, and toilet flush #2. 15 minutes later I'm releasing about a 32" redfish. What a start!

Next cast, another big fish but this one breaks me off. I had tightened the drag because she almost had me spooled. I got the fish all the way back, but as she turned to make another run I realized, to my horror, that I had forgotten to back off on the drag (much less stretch because the fish was close). Snapo. And Crap. Remember the part about having more tackle than you could ever need? Well I only had two of these topwaters in red and white. One was broke (it was at least a season old) and one was lost (brand new), and it's only day one......

Now, during all this commotion, the guys (remember them) had noticed I had been fishing one spot for a while. And since they still hadn't caught anything (why do people stay in one place waiting for fish to come to them? I've never understood it.) they decided to come and potlick me. They start to arrive just as I'm tying on a different topwater. I tell them how it's been going, make a cast and another blow up. I start to wonder just how many fish we're going to catch this morning. Anyway, this fish is my first trout and she's fighting right on the surface thrashing all over the place. I notice a couple of other guys already hooked up as well. But suddenly the fish just stops fighting. I can feel the weight, see the head, but......oh, I understand. The head is all that is left. Some little (I hope) shark just got an easy meal.

Now, you have to understand fishing with friends to get the next part. Everyone in the water knows that I've just lost a fish to a shark. The first thing I do is pick up my stringer with the 23" redfish on in and toss it WAY behind me (25 foot stringer). Then I start very slowly, almost imperceptibly, backing up. Backing up to get out of the waist deep water and the fish with lots of sharp teeth. Slowly so my friends don't laugh at me for being scared. A couple of minutes later I notice that all the guys have done the same. No one ever said a word, or did anything fast. Hard to say if we were more afraid of the sharks, or the teasing. Probably the teasing. (As an aside, the shark pics I have posted before are from this island the following year. The plan to fish for them started on this day.)

Anyway, the fishing shut down after that. Probably because of the sharks. Maybe because we couldn't cast far enough from the knee deep water. We moved to another spot and had a really good, if not spectacular day of fishing. We finished up around 7 pm, with a break for lunch and a one hour nap. We were exhausted, but happy. But unlike most of the guys, I wasn't really finished. There was a good hour of light left, and the surf in the late evening can be great. I wanted to see if I could catch some bigger fish using live baitfish (I am an admitted heathen. Don't knock it if ya ain't tried it!) So I grab a 1/2 dozen from the live well, launch one of the camps 12 foot boats and make the very short trip to the lee of the island. I anchor, walk across the island (50 yds or so) to the open surf. 1st cast, big saltwater cat, which we consider a trash fish. 2nd cast miss something (crap, I hope I don't run out of bait). 3rd cast, hook something BIG.

Now, I'm standing on a sand bar about knee deep fishing into 3 or 4 feet of water. I don't know what I have on, possibly a shark or a jack? Didn't seem like it because the fish was all power, but not a lot of speed. Stingray? Didn't feel like one. Big Redfish? No too big. Whatever it was, it almost spooled me 3 or 4 times.

30 minutes later, it's getting very dark. I'm no longer in the water (I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid) but standing on the beach. I have the fish, I still don't know what species, on the sandbar but can't get him across the shallow water. Every time he hits it he turns and runs back out. I don't think I can pull him across and I don't have the guts (sharks, anyone?) to wade through the deeper water between me and the sandbar. Just what is this thing?

15 minutes later, I finally get him across the sandbar. I think "I might just land this sucker". It's now pitch black.

15 minutes after that I'm pulling a little #2 circle hook out of the corner of the mouth of the biggest redfish I have ever seen. Hell, the biggest one I have ever imagined. My guess would be 48" and probably 40-50 lbs. It took me awhile to revive her as I had taken far to long to land her with the 12 lb test I was using. But revive her I did and she face washed me on the way out. No camera, no tape measure, just memory.

I would say that's enough, and it probably is. But anytime I tell the guys how big, they just nod, smile knowingly and say "sure". I think they probably believe me, but they'll never let on. No evidence you see. But several of them were out the next night in the same spot! Me included, of course. The beer and food will always be there. But who knows when you're going to get the next big one?

The rest of the trip was good, not spectacular, as most of these trips are. But that one day will keep me going back to the Breton Islands for years to come. And cause unrealistic expectations for the next one. I need a tackle shop, quick!

I can honestly say I have NEVER caught a red that big....48 inches. That's a monster! I dont think I've even seen one that big. I haven't caught anything over 30 inches. Probably not too many big fish like that left, these days.

Sharks aren't too bad. I've had a few run-ins with them. I used to spearfish as well, so I know all about them. Always remember the first encounter I had. Spearing in about 10 feet of water out of Homosassa, FL. I'm looking around and I see my dive buddy flagging me down. He's pointing at the float that had our stringer attached....I look over towards the stringer and there's a 8-9 ft. Bull Shark looking to have a go at our fish. The bad part was the stringer was only about 6 feet from me. Gave the shark a quick jab in the nose with my spear...shark darted off into the murk and we slowly made our way back to the boat. Good times.

Loved the story Rick!!! Brought back some fond memories!

James

I can honestly say I have NEVER caught a red that big....48 inches. That's a monster! I dont think I've even seen one that big. I haven't caught anything over 30 inches. Probably not too many big fish like that left, these days.

Sharks aren't too bad. I've had a few run-ins with them. I used to spearfish as well, so I know all about them. Always remember the first encounter I had. Spearing in about 10 feet of water out of Homosassa, FL. I'm looking around and I see my dive buddy flagging me down. He's pointing at the float that had our stringer attached....I look over towards the stringer and there's a 8-9 ft. Bull Shark looking to have a go at our fish. The bad part was the stringer was only about 6 feet from me. Gave the shark a quick jab in the nose with my spear...shark darted off into the murk and we slowly made our way back to the boat. Good times.

Loved the story Rick!!! Brought back some fond memories!

James

I've caught many, many redfish over the years. Maybe 5-10%% of those over 30. Until that beast, 0 over 40. He was one awesome animal.

Don't mess with big bull sharks, you'll end up without a leg. I bet that got your blood pumping!

Rick, that was truly a great story. You have a knack for telling it just right. I had no trouble imagining myself standing right beside you. Everything you said about the anticipation and excitment leading up to the trip is right on. Darn, now I'm going to have trouble getting to sleep thinking about my next trip in June.

Thanks for the story Rick.

Murray

I've caught many, many redfish over the years. Maybe 5-10%% of those over 30. Until that beast, 0 over 40. He was one awesome animal.

Don't mess with big bull sharks, you'll end up without a leg. I bet that got your blood pumping!

That bull shark certainly did get the blood pumping. ANY shark will get your heart pounding when you're in the water...you're in their element. Once you see a couple and get used to the idea of them being out there and not being able to see them, you start to relax a little. No matter how many times I got in the water I always thought about whether I was going to turn around and see a shark. Actually, it's not the turning around and seeing one that bothered me...looking up from 40-50 ft. and seeing that dark shadow block out the sun for a second. That will get anybody's blood moving. Especially since you're only down there on one breath and you have to come up sooner, rather than later. You never hear of anyone getting hit by a shark when they're 50 feet down...it's always as they're coming up, usually when they're within 5-10 feet of the surface.

They're always out there. I've caught decent sized sharks about 30 feet off the swim line at South Beach (Miami). Really funny to catch a shark and see the look on the swimmer's faces....releasing the shark was always the best part.

I may have to post the story about the 66+ pound barracuda we "caught" one day.

James

James,

Catching sharks on the beachfront, in water I wade in, is absolutely one of my favorite ways to fish. I figure they're always there, might as well catch them. That and the fact they are all power and speed and most of the ones you catch on the beach jump. Like rainbows, but with more teeth! But I have lots of friends that will not do it. They give lots of reasons, but I've alway suspected that they really don't want to know what is really swimming along with them while they wade.

I've never fished for them with tourists around, though I have friends who have. Pretty funny stuff.

But like you said, anyone who is not a bit nervous when they are around is flat loopy. I was fishing for specks in the middle of the night once, around 3 am. Hooked a nice fish. It was pitch black and I did not know where the fish was as I was fighting it. It hit my leg and I jumped 3 feet out of the water. I knew it was the trout, but my mind said SHARK. Laughed about it even as I was jumping. Told my dad about it, and said I was always a little nervous fishing at night. He said "well, at least you're human."

You're right. I don't think many people want to know what is actually swimming (sometimes less than 5 feet) from them while they either swim or fish. My mom absolutely refuses to go more than ankle deep in the ocean. I remember when my family was living on Tobacco Key (Belize) as a kid...I was young, probably 4 or 5 but I still remember...My mom would wade out into the ocean and look for sharks before she would let me and my sister come in. She is absolutely paranoid. Another vivid memory of mine is sitting on the dock, on the same key, and watching a dolphin go by...well, my mom quickly picked her dangling feet out of the water and tucked them under herself. She thought the dolphin was a shark and that it was going to go out of its way to come and nibble on her toes.

She's the same way with snakes. I put a rubber snake under the blankets on her bed as a kid once and I thought she was going to murder me. My dad actually had to restrain her until I could go lock myself in my room. Needless to say I ran out the door without breakfast the next morning to catch the bus before my mom could get ahold of me. I'm amazed I didn't drive her to insanity...I was a real bastard sometimes.

James

great story.

it really is amazing what is swiming around. while snorkling back to the beach a few weeks ago, i came across 1, 4ft baracuda, a large sting wray, an octopus and a school of jelly fish. of course i had to find the jelly fish.

the baracuda scared the crap out of me when it stopped and looked at me before going on about his business. the wray was in about 3 ft of water 20ft from the beach with people almost standing on the poor thing.

i'd rather keep my face in the water.

Guest bigbadbrent

Barracuda's are my favourite to see...they look SO mad at all times..had one swim right under my mom's leg, at least 6 feet, was massive..

Scariest looking thing i saw in Cayman was a good 7 foot long Moray Eel, that thing looked like i had insulted every family member, belief, religious system that it ever thought of, scary as hell.

i miss snorkeling, chased a stingray and turtle around for a good 6 km in the water, turned back to the beach to find it was a long, long walk back to where we started

Damn Rick, I love those "southern" stories! Reminds me of home everytime! I fished out of Breton Sound one week prior to Hurricane Katrina, sure hope the islands are still there! The Chandeleurs are almost gone, one more storm and they're history.

Gotta love those sharks, they've messed with me numerous times, usually down in Lafitte. But there was the one time I was wading up on the north shore of Lake Ponchatrain... Of course I was by myself, doing all right, had a few specks on a short stringer, just doing my thing casting a sparkle beetle in the surf and then I notice a fin stalking me. Needless to say, I slowly backed off, but I was out a good 200 yards in waist deep water. Thank god for multi tools, I sawed the stringer off my belt (forget untying it) and backed into some shallower water. Needless to say, I bought one of those floating stringers on a twenty foot rope the next day.