Fly Fusion Forums

Is It Worth The Buy

Sharkskin Fly Line  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Is it worth the price tag?

• Yes
    • No

The exact question should be to those who put No..

last year i thought all you spey kids were nuts.....now look at me.

i have tried it...i did not like the sound and i did not like the feel...after 20 years of fishing with a smooth finish on my line, it was awkward for me with a textured line...i'm not saying never but not until the price is more competitively adjusted...that and i'm addicted to cortland and partial to SA...just my opinion (everyone's got one)...

not trying to step on any toes here, just curious...but of those who voted yes, how many have actually TRIED the line rather than going off what they have heard?...

I voted yes and I haven't tried it. Heck. I just felt like voting and I figured if you bought it, you would probably think it was worth it, because you could afford it and it probably *can* be cast a little further....

I hope this poll wasn't scientific. :)

thanks for the tips on the airflow, i buddy mentioned to me that with the shark skin line, if you are doing alot of streamers and heavy striping add some tape on the fingers to protect yourself-from cuts and burns.

That's good advice if you're doing alot of streamers and stripping with any line.

• 2 years later...

I cast one for half a day fishing for coastal cutts (buddy bought one). Initially, I liked the extra few feet I got with it, and for those extra few feet I could have justified the noise, which was very annoying. There were two things is could not live with.

1. The amount of crap the line seems to pick up and it is difficult to clean the line; and,

2. I wore two bloody grooves in my finger stipping in minnow patterns. The grooves were worn right through a nice callous which had been built up over the years.

So for me, there will be no sharkskin purchase.

I like it, it picks up all the surface dirt off the water and onto the line, great for cleaning the surface of the Bow, another positive is the great music it makes going through the guides. Reminds me of fingers on a blackboard and I'm sure it's also really good for the rod guides. But becaus of the really cool name I was thankfully able to resell mine really quickly.

Like Highlander and SilverDoctor said, the line is a magnet for dirt. I bet you all those lab tests that prove reduced line-guide wear were done in nice clean labs. If it's rough on your fingers, it's rough on your guides. Also, I'm no Steve Rajeff, but I noticed no significant casting improvement. Luckily I didn't lose a c-note on it; mine was a sample, so it got filed in the circular cabinet. Usually, if I got a sample to test and I didn't like it, I'd offer it to someone. But it sure felt good to put a piece of trash like that where it belonged!

Well, unfortunately the initial prototype samples and "1st generation" were (past tense) dirt magnets and finger cutters. And again, unfortunately, people were given samples but were not asked to provide input to SA about their findings, as would be the normal process. People providing constructive input about the lines would have had the opportunity to test 2nd, 3rd and 4th generation Sharkskin.

To assume that improvements would not be made since the initial introduction is similar to thinking that there have been no advancements in technology in the past 4 years.

All Sharkskin lines, including the new floating, .021 spey running line, are less abrasive, quieter and still provide proven 10% less drag in the guides.

I've had the opportunity to test all the generations of Sharkskin and gen 4 is nothing like the first lines.

In addition, SA is introducing a new Mastery line that, as a result of the Sharkskin ongoing development(I think it's called "lessons learned"), will have a slightly dimpled surface(like a golf ball, only shallower dimples), in order to be more durable, have less drag in the guides and add distance to your casts. For $30 less than the infamous "C-note".

j

I would be willing to test one but can't lay out $ on another one. It cost me money.

Well, unfortunately the initial prototype samples and "1st generation" were (past tense) dirt magnets and finger cutters. And again, unfortunately, people were given samples but were not asked to provide input to SA about their findings, as would be the normal process. People providing constructive input about the lines would have had the opportunity to test 2nd, 3rd and 4th generation Sharkskin.

To assume that improvements would not be made since the initial introduction is similar to thinking that there have been no advancements in technology in the past 4 years.

All Sharkskin lines, including the new floating, .021 spey running line, are less abrasive, quieter and still provide proven 10% less drag in the guides.

I've had the opportunity to test all the generations of Sharkskin and gen 4 is nothing like the first lines.

In addition, SA is introducing a new Mastery line that, as a result of the Sharkskin ongoing development(I think it's called "lessons learned"), will have a slightly dimpled surface(like a golf ball, only shallower dimples), in order to be more durable, have less drag in the guides and add distance to your casts. For $30 less than the infamous "C-note".

j