Fly Fusion Forums

Mclennan's Books

birchy

Picked up Blue Ribbon Bow and Fly Fishing Western Trout Streams at the library on Saturday.

Just finished Blue Ribbon Bow last night... excellent book. I think I'll have to buy it for sure.

I particularly had a good chuckle when I read how casting large streamers in the wind can present some unique challenges.. and then he went on to describe how a buddy of his was just leaning in to a "underwear ripping cast" when he felt his streamer get caught behind him and turned around to see "the unluckiest skunk in the world come tumbling down the bank with a #2 wooly bugger stuck in his nose". LOL

Starting Western Trout Streams tonight..

"Fly-fishing Western Trout Streams" is one of the most informative fly-fishing books I've ever read. I had an autographed copy, unfortunately it was stolen a couple years ago :(

I think I recall seeing copies of it at West Winds. You could always buy one there and take it to the show for Jim to sign ;)

Birchy, if you can, take in Jim's presentation on the Bow. Free ( I think). I saw/heard it twice and it is excellent with a great slide show. Own all the books and will add the new one saturday.

Where can I take it?

Guest bigbadbrent

Troutfitters has copies (signed) of Water marks, and copies (signed) of fly fishing western trout streams...or at least we did on sunday. Give em a call to confirm, they're both hell of a good reads

282-8868

Check the schedule at http://flyfishingevents.com

Saturday 5:00 – 6:00 PM. Presentation Theatre: The Bow River: Past, Present & Future – A Forum Moderated by Jim McLennan. This year’s Fly Fishing Expo celebrates our own Bow River, Canada’s greatest trout stream. Join Jim for a lively discussion with experts from Alberta’s Sustainable Resources Development and Trout Unlimited Canada, along with experienced Bow River guides. Presentations and discussion will focus on the changes in the Bow over the years and a knowledgeable look into the future of fishing on the Bow River. Participation and comments from the audience will be an important part of this forum.

• 1 year later...

Bumpage..

Just getting around to buying these books now.. more than a year after starting this thread. I know.. i'm fast.

Other than Water Marks.. can anyone tell me if any of the local shops have these books in stock? I can get Western Trout Streams and Trout Streams of Alberta on Amazon.. but the shipping time is 2 - 5 WEEKS.

Blue Ribbon Bow on the other hand.. I can get it on Amazon.. but the lowest price is like $153 (i'm assuming it's out of print).

I think Blue Ribbon Bow has been out of print for a few years now. I picked mine up last year when Jim was doing the Water Marks signing, so they're still around somewhere. There are also used copies available on Alibris cheaper than on Amazon. Looks like they're hardcovers as well. I've ordered lots from Alibris and never had a problem.

Guest girlsfishtoo
I think Blue Ribbon Bow has been out of print for a few years now. I picked mine up last year when Jim was doing the Water Marks signing, so they're still around somewhere. There are also used copies available on Alibris cheaper than on Amazon. Looks like they're hardcovers as well. I've ordered lots from Alibris and never had a problem.

Birchy, you can probably order these books directly from the Mclennan Flyfishing site.

http://mclennanflyfishing.com/mclennanbooks.htm

If you don't have any luck finding them, you can also check www.chapters.indigo.ca http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/used-books/B...45938-rare.html I bought a hardcover copy of Blue Ribbon Bow last year that was in almost perfect condition, for around $30 - $40 Canadian, in "Used books". Got Jim to autograph it at the Canadian Fly Fishing Expo in Jan :D

I picked up trout streams of alberta this winter. Well it wasn't easy to find at least here in edmonton. New & used book stores, fish'n hole...nothing. Even stopped at the at the publisher here and they had none in stock. Went on Abe books online and got a used mint copy sent up from Texas for $7 USD!

If I'm breaking the board's rules by posting this, go ahead and remove this post, but I thought some folks might appreciate the information. Water Marks and Fly Fishing Western Trout Streams are still in print and should be available at most of Alberta's fly shops. Blue Ribbon Bow and Trout Streams of Alberta are basically out of print, but we stocked up before they disappeared and have both available from our website.

Thanks.

Jim

If I'm breaking the board's rules by posting this, go ahead and remove this post, but I thought some folks might appreciate the information. Water Marks and Fly Fishing Western Trout Streams are still in print and should be available at most of Alberta's fly shops. Blue Ribbon Bow and Trout Streams of Alberta are basically out of print, but we stocked up before they disappeared and have both available from our website.

Thanks.

Jim

Jim, would Blue Ribbon Bow be a hard cover version? I had you sign a copy for myself and my brother when it first came out and mine has gone missing over the years. As well Iron Blue Flyfishing was mentioned above, do you know if the series is available on DVD anywhere?

Colin