Fly Fusion Forums

Westslope Cutthroats

Easy boys, I'm a sensitive artist. All this trust in Ottawa stuff is pretty hillarious. SRD's recovery plan may be about a few dozen remnant cutties in the top end of Cataract Creek. But that doesn't seem to be what SARA says for a species listed "threatened."

"Harm and harrass" being the words that jump out like an auto wrecker's dog.

Put that in the hands of the PETA or WWF lawyers in front of a Liberal judge and things may change radically. Laws have to be followed. And judges can make politicians follow them.

Remember when the Coast Guard showed up on the Ram because Martha said it was a nagivable river.

The day may soon be coming when I run into Taco on his new "home" waters - the Freeman or the Embarras.

Remember, the NEP was supposed to be all about Canadianizing the oil patch. It's scary. Real scary.

Excuse my ignorance, but wasn't there a bill being discussed here that everyone was afraid would lead to significant amounts of waters being managed by private interest? Is it possible that this bill could lead to the passing of that bill. ie: the need to seriously restrict the pressure on the waters justifies having it managed (ie: limited rod days) by private interests? I'm probably just being paranoid but its all about the all mighty dollar and control over it and if we don't keep an eye on things going on behind closed doors, wacky things justified by wacky logic comes out of nowhere (witness the SEK).

I hear what you're sayin' Neil but by GOA's own admission there may be far less than 7000 unpolluted WS left. What then? What about your Athabascans? If they ever get status as a distinct red-band subspecies, what then? Problem is Neil that the listing of WS seems to be the only solution left.

I gonna support it and start shootin' P.E.T.A.philes later :) I got at least one rifle they don't know about.

Easy boys, I'm a sensitive artist. All this trust in Ottawa stuff is pretty hillarious. SRD's recovery plan may be about a few dozen remnant cutties in the top end of Cataract Creek. But that doesn't seem to be what SARA says for a species listed "threatened."

"Harm and harrass" being the words that jump out like an auto wrecker's dog.

Put that in the hands of the PETA or WWF lawyers in front of a Liberal judge and things may change radically. Laws have to be followed. And judges can make politicians follow them.

Remember when the Coast Guard showed up on the Ram because Martha said it was a nagivable river.

The day may soon be coming when I run into Taco on his new "home" waters - the Freeman or the Embarras.

Remember, the NEP was supposed to be all about Canadianizing the oil patch. It's scary. Real scary.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/mnr/csb/news/2006/aug1nr_06.html

Individual aurora trout, pure aurora's, are fished for... raises awarness. No harm to the population, no charges for people fishing.

Areas can be open for fishing under these exceptions:

Exceptions

SARA provides for a number of exceptions in a variety of circumstances. For example, activities that are undertaken in accordance with conservation measures for wildlife species under a land claims agreement are exempt from the application of SARA prohibitions. Activities related to public safety, health or national security may also be exempted.

SARA also allows for permits to be issued or agreements to be entered into under certain conditions, to authorize certain activities that would otherwise contravene the Act. The Minister issuing the permit must be of the opinion that the proposed activity qualifies as one of the following:

• the activity is scientific research relating to the conservation of the species and conducted by qualified persons;
  • the activity benefits the species or is required to enhance its chance of survival in the wild; or
  • the effect(s) on the species is incidental to the carrying out of the activity.
The Minister issuing the permit must also be of the opinion that all of the following conditions are met:
  • all reasonable alternatives to the activity that would reduce the impact on the species have been considered, and the best solution has been adopted;
  • all feasible measures will be taken to minimize the impact of the activity on the species or its critical habitat or the residences of its individuals; and
  • the activity will not jeopardize the survival or recovery of the species.

Continued angling raises awarness of the species, as does discussion about it in all media. C&R is a reasonable measure to minimize impact on the species in places where its population is not threatened. Angling will not jeopardize the survival or recovery of the species.

I personally don't believe that the gov't will take away fishing, and like I keep pointing out, hybrids aren't Westslope Cutthroats, they won't be protected under SARA. I can't say what the decisions will be (alot of that depends on Public Comments!!!), but research in the states is against listing hybrids, and as far as I know most of the cutts people angle, are hybrids (or stocked outa their range). Like Taco says... maybe 7000 individual reproducing aged pure cutthroats... I'm seriously scared they will be gone. Soon. There's nothing natural left in the lower and mainstems of the rivers... the onlything to protect there is the right to fish, and that's not threatened (not seriously, anyways).

BTW, Glad to see you here, Neil. Even more happy that folks express an opinion, one way or another. Nothing will ever happen with out discussion and views from either side. And I like to argue, one way or another.

What's the deal with the Coast Guard stuff on the Ram??

Actually Rick Taylor (same guy who wants list WSCTs) has recommended doing something with Athabascans. Could be trouble there too. Especially if he goes "threatened." He just finished the DNA study but found they weren't much different than Fraser River redbands.

The Ram story came when Don's friend Martha (don't meant to be too hard on her because she's having serious health problems) complained to the feds. And the goofs sent a crew of Coast Guard snapheads all the way out from Sarnia to see if they could get one of their cutters up the Ram.

It was all part of her protest over the Sunpine haul road and the two "illegal" bridges.

It also led to the invasion of DFO officers who kicked in the doors of a forest service office at High Level - with "guns a-blazin'" as on Alliance MP put it - at the height of their power.

They moved SRD off the turf. Now they have all but abandoned the province again leaving a huge gap in management and enfocement of fish habitat.

At a time when grayling creeks at Fort Mac are getting ripped up.

Neil Waugh

Neil,

Who pissed in your cornflakes? Clearly, there is a lot of things where Neil is short on facts but what else in new? Can't stop a good story.

1] The DFO was involved in a bridge installation on the Main Ram. A environmental group [ Friends of the West Country] were concerned about the increased silt load to the Ram. Martha, like a lot of others that give a crap about Alberta, were members. The DFO was the "only bunch in town" with the balls to buck the Provinces direction. [ Most of the members of Friends were not fishermen and were protecting the Ram for FFers like Neil and of course damn few of the members were outta the city]

2] The DFO was in Alberta big time as a result of a Federal Judge finding during the Oldman River hearings finding that Alberta failed big time in a host of ways culminating in Alberta not getting a permit to construct the Oldman Dam. So the Judge ordered the DFO>Alberta to train the Dam Builders amongst others.

3] The DFO has now withdrawn 'cause the Province is holding hands with the Feds. Curiously, a DFO withdrawal is seen by most PCer's as a good thing. Can't but wonder why after looking @ what the PCer's under Ralphie got to do in Ft. Mc.

4] DFO is heading east 'cause Harper wants it that way. Can't have the DFO meddling in the water around Ft. Mc. Got to rip up an area the size of Florida and don't need any Feds looking over things.

And Neil,

Missed seeing you over the weekend @ the Northern Lites/TU Edmonton Fundraising FF show. Figured we might arm wrestle some the the fisheries issues to the ground. Was a good deal. Curious how Edmonton organizations can do it and Calgary can't.

catch ya'

Don