Fly Fusion Forums

I Hate People.

birchy

Got a call at 5:40am this morning.. "is Tarah Birch there?" "umm.. yes, who's speaking?" "This is Constable so and so from the RCMP, does Tarah own a silver 4Runner?" "We both own it, but yes it's in her name.." (as I'm wiping my eyes and looking out the window in our bedroom). "Holy crap".. "Canmore RCMP are currently in possesion of your vehicle. We just wanted to make sure that you didn't give anyone permission to take it." "No sir, we did not." "Okay, that's all we wanted to know. The Canmore officer will call you and provide you with more details."

About half an hour later the officer from Canmore calls and tells me they got called to the scene of a “roll-over accident”.. and then breaks the news that the 4Runner is written off and I need to get in touch with the insurance company.

Without sounding too vengeful.. the b@stards got taken to the hospital because they got banged up pretty good in the accident I guess. Oh.. and the officer told me “we’ve been looking for them”. So they had a history. Knew what they were doing too.. no glass on the road.. didn’t hear the alarm.

I hate people.

Now that really sucks!! I always said I hate a thief. Sorry to hear your news. If these guys are repeat offenders I certainly hope they throw the book at em. But, alas, this is Canada (great hockey programs) and they will probably get a slap on the wrist!

Keep us updated on the ass----s who did this.

I'm really sorry that happened to you and Tarah, birchy. It sucks big time.

I've only had my car broken into. When the thief tried to steal the radio, the only questionably valuable item in there, he cut his hand and bled all over the interior. It was a really crappy car, but it was my only transpo. Cops totally ignored it as a dime-a-dozen kind of violation. It cost me a half day of work and a new window, but the sense of security returned eventually.

In the hospital, are they? Sounds like they got more punishment than most thieves.

That sucks, I had someone break into my truck over the holidays, they busted the back window. Only minor things got stolen so that was on the bright side, but it definitely makes you more suspicious and conscious of things around you. I can suppose that because they wrote off your vehicle you will be getting a new one. But the insurance companies can be a bitch too, what with deductible and amount of coverage etc. I hope it all works out for you, and as they say; locks only keep honest people out.

Too bad you can't go visit them and "accidentally" spill some boiling hot tea on the guy's nuts... Maybe the cops can work something out for ya, hehe.

Yeah, I'm a little vengeful that way when it comes to injustice. I feel for you, man. I've had my car broken into twice, the second time they took 2 LOONIES, but left my Sage flyrod alone. I'm glad the thieves were that dumb.

That's bad........I have the good fortune to NOT live in Calgary, where on every evening news broadcast there is a litany of crap like this........... But even in the smaller centers this kind of crime seems to be on the increase.......Hope your insurance company does the job for you.......

Too bad the cops can't bounce the wienies off a brick wall a coupla times on the way to court, probably wouldn't learn them nothin' but it would hold a certain satisfaction.

Hope it all works out

The more of these a**holes that end up in the hospital the better in my opinion. Yep, may sound a little harsh but the reality is if they don't get a good dose of justice or end up all busted up and paralyzed they'll just end up out on the street ripping off someone else.

Thanks for the comments everyone.. such is life.

Kind of amusing part of the story.. my wife is talking to an officer in Canmore about it.. says to him "do us a favor.. if you have to visit them in the hospital make sure you stick a finger in one of their wounds for us!" and the officer's like "yeh, no doubt". lol That'd be sweet if he does!

Even funnier... she proceeds to tell him how that was our only vehicle.. that we just bought it this summer and both absolutely loved it. He's like "well, I happen to know someone who's selling one.." and she's like "yeh?", he says "yeh, ME."

I guess he's got one that's pretty much identical.. same year and model, and only 130K! He says it's been serviced regularly and is in great shape! So my wife says "alright, well, we're dealing with the insurance company now but we might give you a call."

The more of these a**holes that end up in the hospital the better in my opinion. Yep, may sound a little harsh but the reality is if they don't get a good dose of justice or end up all busted up and paralyzed they'll just end up out on the street ripping off someone else.

Amen, Brother Weedy! Thankfully, this time it was the scuzzbag perpetrators who ended up in hospital,

instead of some unfortunate bystander (as usually seems to be the case). I wish much pain & suffering

on them, plus permanent erectile dysfunction- just for good measure.

Birchy, good luck dealing with those other scuzzbags- insurance companies... :angry: .Don't take any

crap from them; push hard for what's coming to ya, 'cuz, they'll try to screw ya, fo sho'!!

Guest bigbadbrent

damn dude, you loved that vehicle.

I lost my favourite car (87 beamer) this summer to an underage drunk driver. We finally got it fully fixed up, just put over 2g's into it, and he totalled it like 2 weeks later, which then in turned slammed into my brothers car, so wrote off that car as well. He ended up trying to push his car away, and we had to chase him down and wait for the cops..every day i think about it, i wish i had punched him out. Definitly got a slap on the wrist, while i had to borrow a vehicle all summer long and wait for insurance crap to deal with it....genuinely hope your insurance and cops handle this 100x better then what i went through.

I'm really not looking forward to dealing with the insurance company...

This is the first time something like this has ever happened to me. Any tips on what I should do if they try and low ball me or something? Can I sue the guys that stole it for the rest of the money?

Can I sue the guys that stole it for the rest of the money?

LOL you think he has any honest money. ;)

Good luck with the Insurance company. My last dealing was pretty good, but it was just a little bumper thump.

Crappy luck. Had a truck stolen in Calgary years ago, they took off the wheels and then rammed it with another stolen car. Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver are all pretty bad for this type of crime.

I'm really not looking forward to dealing with the insurance company...

This is the first time something like this has ever happened to me. Any tips on what I should do if they try and low ball me or something? Can I sue the guys that stole it for the rest of the money?

Birchy,

With all setiments aside, I say why not sue them, they stole your car, costed you money and time, you should be entitled to some kind of compensation from them personally, and get them to pay for all the lawyer fees. They have to take responsibility for their actions, and just going to court is only part of it. I just read in the paper yesterday(on the net somewhere) that a lady in Ontrario who was a drug addict, is clean now for a few years is sueing the drug dealer, and I believe she won her case or is going to win her case. This case is setting the standards now and is allowing victums to get back at the criminals.

Black Ant

Birchy,

With all setiments aside, I say why not sue them, they stole your car, costed you money and time, you should be entitled to some kind of compensation from them personally, and get them to pay for all the lawyer fees.

Black Ant

It depends on how much you value your own time. Suing someone takes a lot of time and the stress involved sometimes isn't worth it.

Birchy would have to sue in Civil court for whatever difference there is between what he paid for the vehicle and what the insurance company gives him. He probably wouldn't get any other type of compensation and if he did it would be peanuts. Been there done that - I was awarded what the Judge figured I paid for photocopies and paper - all $150 worth, I was claiming 5 grand for time spent on the case,over 100 hours worth. I did get what I was really suing for though, the cost of a wrecked vehicle. (This wasn't my stolen Jeep for those of you who know about that one.)

Well Birchy atleast the bastards were dumb enough to drive into Canmore in a snowstorm cause it dumped out here and that likely helped put em in the ditch...... I figure its better they crashed and you got the minor satisfaction of knowing they didn't get off scot free........ Wish I had seen the accident on my way up to sunshine today. Any idea where the crash took place as I did see some evidence of someone ripping around in median between the divided highway from canmore and banff.

Well Birchy atleast the bastards were dumb enough to drive into Canmore in a snowstorm cause it dumped out here and that likely helped put em in the ditch...... I figure its better they crashed and you got the minor satisfaction of knowing they didn't get off scot free........ Wish I had seen the accident on my way up to sunshine today. Any idea where the crash took place as I did see some evidence of someone ripping around in median between the divided highway from canmore and banff.

Nope... just know that the Canmore RCMP dealt with it and my 4Runner is at their impound lot there..

Hey Birchy I hope things get better for you from this point. Glad they didn't hurt anyone else, I figure they deserve what they get but nobody else needs to get hurt in the process.

I had a company truck stolen, they parked it outside their apartment building and left their welfare cheque on the seat. How ironic is that?

Somebody stole my flyfishing chest pack out of my truck, which left me pretty upset, but a couple of hours later the paper boy showed up with some of it and asked if it was mine, because he knew I was a flyfisher. He took me back to where he had found the stuff and I recovered all of the rest of it. The thief probably thought that it was a camera case. paper boy did a good thing and I tipped him pretty well.

Keep us up to speed on how you are doing with a new car/insurance etc.

Guest Sundancefisher

That sucks all right. Terrible thing to have happen insofar as your sense of security has been compromised. When I was just 12 we had someone break into our home and walk around with muddy boots looking through our stuff. Scary feeling.

I would suggest you really watch the insurance company closely and read your policy over. If you have replacement value on a new vehicle you may just get a new one. Otherwise if they offer book value make sure you can buy one at that price or find one and have them pay for it. You are best off getting one from a dealer with proof of no accidents and the extended warranty included.

Good luck and I hope they accidentally get lobotomized while in the hospital!

Sun