Fly Fusion Forums

K Lakes Tomorrow

CDock and I are going to hit the K Lakes tomorrow evening. First time out there for me.. not sure about CDock.

Any advice?

From what I've gathered from you guys so far I'm thinking just stripping streamers?

don't be afraid to try some small stuff either like leechs, small minnow patterns, aquatic invertibrates like say maybe shrimp....... ;) But yeah for the most part the bulls like bigger stuff. Just change it up till you find the pattern or the colour they like.

Switch it up, like everyone else said. Keep an eye out for small fry and imitate them. Don't be afraid to be unorthodox either. Patience is key up there. You might make 200 casts before you nail one but man is it worth it. Have fun guys, look forward to hearing the results.

"say if you weren't targeting bulls, but bows and cutts what should a guy do? too busy fishing to go buy streamers and thinking of headed that way. Thanks! "

chironomids, leechs, shrimp, and maybe some attractor wet flys.........

and white wooly buggers size 2-10.......

you could try dries if they are rising but....... It seems to be a tough dry fly lake.......

You can always try what you do have under an indicator, or fish from the bottom-up until you find the fish. It can be a tough lake, but it can be a great lake too. Beware that it tends to go on & off too, so you might get action for an hour or 2 & nothing for an hour or 2 after that. But, have fun & follow all the advice in the above posts!

Glen is right they seem to like to hit suspended flies even if its a fly that you would normally associate with movement...... like an 8 inch bucktail, clousers, zonkers...... but thats not alway the case. Just make sure you are ready first cast cause the first cast in an area often results in a strike so be ready.

CDock and I are going to hit the K Lakes tomorrow evening. First time out there for me.. not sure about CDock.

Any advice?

From what I've gathered from you guys so far I'm thinking just stripping streamers?

I've been there once before. And like the posts say it's on and off and I was definately there when it was off. Tonight will be a different story!

Thanks to LoneFisher's advice I got one big 'bow, and a bunch of smallish bulls (~18'') on on leech patterns under an indicator (catonic leech). The best patterns were a brown or black one that LoneFisher ties, and the little leech that I use (emerging leech...bloom's leech). This was about a month ago and things may have changed, but catatonic leeching is deadly anywhere for anyfish. Even landed a 4lb sucker on my little leech out of Lower K.

any of you guys tell me if you can get a boat in there was there about 3 weeks ago and couldnt put in do to low water levels. Like to fish the lower in the morning and upper in the afternoon.

I was just up there last weekend, TONS of water and the boat launches were in the water. No prob launching now. Should still be the same now. We'll let you know for sure when we get back. Hopefully we'll have some fish pictures to share as well.

Glen is right they seem to like to hit suspended flies even if its a fly that you would normally associate with movement...... like an 8 inch bucktail, clousers, zonkers...... but thats not alway the case. Just make sure you are ready first cast cause the first cast in an area often results in a strike so be ready.

So you just let them sit suspended under an indicator? Would never have tried that in a million years. Can't wait!

Looking forward to hearing a report guys. Drove out myself this morn to have a look around and to show a friend the lakes. Didn't have time to fish but the lower lake seemed ok but the upper was windy. Hope you guys managed to hook some brutes

Looking forward to hearing a report guys. Drove out myself this morn to have a look around and to show a friend the lakes. Didn't have time to fish but the lower lake seemed ok but the upper was windy. Hope you guys managed to hook some brutes

Two words:

SKUNK CITY!!

We hit the Upper Lake first around where the little Transalta Hydro station is, tried a bunch of different streamers and CDock tried some nymphs too and didn't get any hits at all. Didn't even see any fish in the water. After about an hour we decided to try the lower lake, where the little creek runs into the lake. Again, no hits, nothing. CDock did see 5 big bullies swimming towards his streamer but then they just veered off and he didn't see them again.

We DID however see THREE grizzlies!! We saw one good sized young male on the side of highway 40, got some good pictures and video of him. And then we saw a mother and a cub on the lower lake. A guy driving by stopped and warned us that she was walking by up on the road.. literally like 50 feet behind us where I parked my car. We saw one of the cubs and we saw her, but not the other cub. Got some video and pictures of her too. We're almost positive it was the same grizzly that BigBowTrout saw and took a picture of, because she was in that exact same spot. Very cool. :D

Birchy summed it up - SKUNKED! The bears were definitely the highlight. I love watching these things, at a distance. I'll be back, I will not be beat. There were 3 other guys in pontoons and they didn't look like they had any more success than we did. Hopefully they got something before we arrived. I hope we didn't get too close to them either. We fished different water and they were moving away so I think we were good. If you guys are on here and think we got too close sorry dudes. I figured you were moving away but I could have been wrong.

What to you call a fisherman slipping on a muddy hill?

WET BIRCHY!