Fly Fusion Forums

Epoxy Fly Turner

DonAndersen

guito,

The shaft is supported in the motor - it has a 0.300" square opening. I milled the shaft end square and about 1" long. I made the square piece a "slack" fit so that it will not bind. The other end that passes through the wood and is supported in a 3/8" piece of UNHW [high moly plastic material. It's slippery and works well as a slow speed bushing. The shaft is held into position by a washers and cotter pins. The outside end of the shaft uses 3 washers made of plastic milk bottle. Need more pictures, I'll take them and post.

Bloom,

I watch a guy just hammer fish on these things last summer. Like you, I'm experimenting. One thing that I found is that it takes about 3>4 coats of Sally Hansen's to equal one coat of epoxy. I used 30 minute to extend the working time. Even the Sally Hansens coating benefited from rotation as the coats were smooth.

regards all,

Don

Yup, it was at least three coats of Sally Hansen's to get the look I wanted, all turned by hand. May have to get the turner set up and try the epoxy again. The toughest part was actually finding orange biots for the cheeks. Finally got some so will be trying that out this winter.

Bloom,

Head for the sport shop and get arrow fletching. Some really weird colors. Got bright green and hot orange yesterday. Make sure you ask for the feather type. They are goose biots. Unfortunately most of the fletching is plastic.

catch ya'

Don

Great idea on the arrow fletching Don. Funney thing is I bow hunted at one time and after diggin through my old kit I found some bags of great old fletching. Never clued into that one. Thanks