Fly Fusion Forums

I've Joined The Club And Need Some Direction...

ladystrange

There are some very good DVD's out there ...Rio's Modern Spey casting,The older Rio's International version, Derek Browns and a few more. If you can find a copy of Mike Maxwells tape you will have a very clear understanding of what a spey cast really is ..if all goes well we (Gord McLeod) will have some new cds of Scott MacKenzies at the fly fishing show...and if there I will have it playing on our screen much of the time..

Welcome to the world of Spey casting and more importantly,Spey Fishing...

Remember....the fish are not alway on the other side of the river!

C

I learned a lot from the Rio discs. One of the things I learned was that there are toooooooooo many spey casts. I can do two on left and right sides and that sufficed for a couple of week's fishing. I might be ready to add another this summer.

Perhaps I'm easily overwhelmed. Some might say simple.

Guest bigbadbrent

As long as you can fish the normal situations (river left or right)..you don't really need fancy casts....i know lots of guys who catch a lot of steel, only single spey

Alot of the casts I found in the DVD's were for special situations, such as the casts specifically developed for skagit casting, or when you need to pull a sink tip out of the river first. I particularly enjoyed the section on using the single hand rod to combine different casts when you have multiple instructions, some of the tips will be very useful.