Fly Fusion Forums

Bow River Workhorse Rod

Conor

Conor,

I have a tfo TiCr 9'6" 5 wt as my all around Bow rod. Personally I prefer it over a 6 because I don't find casting distance really all that big of a deal on the bow. That could be because I can't cast all that far yet anyway. But I think the 5 forces me to concentrate more on the closer in water, which I feel ups my effectiveness on the bow. Also I really like fighting fish with the lighter rod. I have a 7 that I use for streamers and when it gets too windy, but for regular nymphing, I much prefer the 5.

If I were to get something to really get them out, I'd get a spey rod.

I have some trouble with line control (mending) with longer casts. Also, most of the bigger fish I have lost have been way the hell out in the river. I think a 10ft might help me out in both cases. I high stick the closer water when nymphing, so a longer rod would be a bonus. I'm also interested in practicing some single handed spey stuff.

I won't buy a rod I don't want just to get the length, but ideally...

Someone recommended to me to overline the DC FT blanks by one or TWO wieghts. Maybe I'll go with a 5 wt blank and use the softer spline. I'd be hesitant to build on a 4 wt planning on using a 6 wt. I do tend to like slower rods, however.

Any other blanks that someone might recommend? The price is certainly right on the DC blanks.

I'd recommened going with the 10 footer (for the 6wt) as an all 'round nymphing stick. Mends are cripser, hooksets are stiffer, pressure on the fish is better. I have a 10 foot 6 wt I love (G&L Flycraft) but it may be out of the price range your seeking.

Think you guys might be talking about the same make of rod :)

I'd recommened going with the 10 footer (for the 6wt) as an all 'round nymphing stick. Mends are cripser, hooksets are stiffer, pressure on the fish is better. I have a 10 foot 6 wt I love (G&L Flycraft) but it may be out of the price range your seeking.

?

The G&L is nothing but a DanCraft blank, which is perfectly in the price range if anyone wants to build a nice rod.

blanks are a really good price. Check out Dan's web site...he's great to deal with also. The rods that made his business, and the ones I believe G&L were building on, were the old Sig V's....the 8'9'' 4 wt was an incredible blank. If you can find it anywhere, buy it.