Fly Fusion Forums

Bow River Workhorse Rod

Conor

I bought a DC FT 1005-4 yesterday. I have heard so many great things about this blank. I am really looking forward to using it. I'll post some pics when it is done.

Thanks all.

It's a good rod. I have a 10' 3 wt FT (though it's really a 4 wt)...great for nymphing small waters. The 10' can be a bit heavy for highsticking, so you may want to think about single foot wire guides instead of ceramics.

Thats the plan. Single foot recoil and a standard stripper.

I figure the extra weight will be made up for in the fact I don't have to extend my arm to get the hooks out a bit further. That will last about 5 minutes and I will have my arm fully extended with 10 ft of graphite out from it :) No pain, no gain, right? ;)

The recoils are nice guides (top of the line for wires). You will hear people complain about them being noisy when the line passes through them, but I never noticed it. I never like the look of Recoil's tip tops though. Buy a different type, so you can compare the aesthetics.

The guy at the fly shop said it was the recoil stripper that made the noise. I guess it makes sense with the two wires pressed against each other.

I might put a different tiptop on. They are a bit odd looking, and replacing a bent tiptop is easy enough. Good tip.