Fly Fusion Forums

Opinions On Atv Usage

Hey guys,

I am curious as to the fishing community's opinion on ATV's and there usage. I am a fisherman and an ATV'er. I use my ATV responsibly and only where allowed. Due to recent events I am almost embarrassed to tell people I have an ATV.

I am looking for opinions, experiences(good or bad) and suggestions as to what you guys think should be done in the future regarding atv usage.

Thanks for your time

Lance

As far as I'm concerned if you are a responsible ATV'er, then you shouldn't be ashamed or afraid to say so. Responsible ones are few and far between in this province. I can't stand the ones who don't give a crap and rip up wherever they feel like it. Used responsibly and with care and consideration, I'm all for them. In fact I may even an owner myself one day soon.

If you're responsible great. I've seen people who aren't and they don't impress me. I think most people are familiar with the irresponsible users. ie. long weekends in K country. I've used them myself in the past and of course have been responsible, that's the key. Sounds like you're golden, hopefully others will take your example.

IMO..ATV's have a place in the recreation world, by responsible users, stick to designated trails and your fine..but people get bored of trails and start to go "explore" this is where the damage to the wilderness occurs..I use to ride dirt bike all the time, but since have given it up..ATV's can provide great access to remote fishing locations in certain areas....

...respect the wilderness...

A few REALLY wreak it for the rest!! Its hard not to look at ATV's in distaste after you see stuff like whats on these videos. That and going up there in person and seeing cars left in the muholes (used to be streams), seeing ripped up trails everywhere, seeing garbage left all over and all along the trails, etc.

Add to that... taxpayers pay for the cleanup.

Otherwise, responsible use is fine. I've quaded, I have friends who do, some groups put money into creating bridges (some don't care). Its going to be hard on all the users now... especially with the bad image that's been created.

Cheers,

Harps

(BTW, this is the link to the CBC story: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/200...-destroyed.html )

Wow! Using an ATV responsibly on designated trails is one thing. But I honestly don't see the enjoyment in ripping around in your 4x4 truck knowing that you are going to get stuck and then having to winch and work your butt off getting the thing out of the mud. Then I am sure these guys have to go home and spend money and time fixing whatever they broke while driving around and destroying the land. Weird if you ask me.

But if you ask one of those guys, they might think spending hours tying feathers to a hook and then hiking for hours to catch a 10in cutt is weird too.

I think we have bigger issues in our environment and fisheries than ATVs. Including, loss of habitat, poaching, pollution, consumption, irrigation & water diversion and the list goes on. Go fishing with your ATV and have fun.

I've had ATV's drive right upstream of a section of water that I'm trying to fish... This clogs the streambed with silt and mud and ruins fish habitat. Countless other ATV activities destroy the environment in some fragile areas, not to mention the mess the people leave behind.

If you use an ATV responsibly good for you, your one of the few who does. In my opinion there is no place for irresponsible ATV use in Alberta.

I think we have bigger issues in our environment and fisheries than ATVs. Including, loss of habitat, poaching, pollution, consumption, irrigation & water diversion and the list goes on. Go fishing with your ATV and have fun.

You're right Greg, but in the SE slopes, OHV use (ATV's, 4x4's, bikes, etc) contribute to habitat loss and pollution big time.

Responsible use is fine, but people are tearing up the streams, refuelling on the banks, washing oil and mud off in the water, tipping vehicles and dumping gas, basically doing all the things that industry get fined for (well would with more enforcement).

(Also access is easier for poachers, new trails cause sediment point sources, trails affect wildlife movements, etc)

Why can recreational users destroy stuff for their enjoyment when industry using the resource has to minimize their impact. I can tell you, there is a large impact on fisheries from random campers and OHV, rivals industry in my mind!!

Cheers,

Paul

I agree that there is a problem with the irresponsible use of ATVs and the trail of destruction left behind. We had a similar problem a few years ago in the Wiaporus Wilderness area with ATVs, random campers etc. The solution was simple...Enforcement.

The other issues I mentioned, as having a greater impact on our province, are mired in the political/economic self-interests of government and industry. They are much tougher to deal with.

Oh, a similar discussion is going on over-here... http://www.sexyloops.co.uk/cgi-bin/theboar...ST;f=12;t=6023; in New Zealand.

OHV's also introduce weeds and can carry mud with whirling diesease, dydimo, and NZ mud snails. Bad, bad, and bad!!

okay I am not trying to pick things apart here, but us fly fisherman can and do carry the same diseases in our waders and equipment

Hmmm...I don't have a big problem with the video. Looks like well established trails for the most part. I believe those are puddles and not streams. Before I get crucified, let me state that I'm not sure of the exact areas within Indian Graves this is happening. Regardless, if one of these "trails" led to a lake full of 20+ inch brookies, 30+ inch bulls, etc...and you had a truck............................................................ ;)

Thanks for the replys guys

I too wish for responsible ATV use, but see more reckless people everytime I go out. I avoid long weekends like the plague, I cannot stand the partying, drinking and reckless atving/offroading etc, plus the creeks usually run chocolate brown the whole weekend anyway. I fear for my safety on those weekends so I chose to avoid them.

There is a group called the calgary quad squad that is particapating in bridge installs over creeks mostly in the waiparous area. They are using old bridges from the fish creek park washout. The bridges are no good to the fish creek area but are perfect for the smaller creeks and were donated by the province or city(not sure which).Many different user groups particapated in the bridge install.

post-279-1181967231.jpg

So there is hope that the few responsible users can make up for the abusers.

As I type this my quad and fishing gear are loaded up ready for opening day on the Elbow river and Quirk creek.

Thanks again for the responses and keep them coming.

Lance

So there is hope that the few responsible users can make up for the abusers.

Sadly, I don't think it ever will. But...It is like this in most aspects of life right? At least you guys are PERSONALLY trying to make a difference, and it's cliche but thats where it starts. Good on ya. One of my fondest camping memories includes a grizzly 600cc, I stuck to the trails and did all kinds of exploring...it was a blast.