Fly Fusion Forums

Streamers In The Winter

reevesr1

I have a question about fishing streamers in the winter:

I know I need to use enough weight to ensure I get it (or them) down. But do you significantly slow down your retrieve as well? Let it sit longer at the end of the swing? I would also think that dead drifting or stripping very slowly when casting upstream might work as well? Any help here would be appreciated. My streamer effectiveness is near 0.

I would recommend using a sink tip such as a 10' fast sink, Trout polyleader (type 3-6, 12lb. core) with 2'-3' of tippet added and an unweighted or lightly weighted fly (clousers, buggers, leeches etc.) Sink tips are easier to cast than a weighted streamer/split shot/tapered mono leader. Lightly weighted streamers will have a more natural swim presentation. Most days during the colder months, I find it is important to fish the streamer very slowly, when swinging and/or retreiving. The slower the better.

Today I was swinging a #14 Royal Coachman on an intermediate tip (slow sink) and getting a lot of grabs on the dangle in the shallow, slack water. Smaller trout, but lots of fun.

85% of my streamer fish are caught on the "swing". I dead drift em. Let the current take em and once the current catches teh streamer it lifts it. On this lift i find most of my strikes. Some of them will follow it to the end. This is where I give it 3 quick strips then hold, then recast.

How long are you fishing streamers for?

Most people I've seen try them for a dozen casts then give it up. You have to stick with it. Fish them for a good two or even three hours - many times you fish streamers all day for a half dozen good grabs, and those might come over a half hour. The advantage to streamers is that you can cover more water, so I wouldn't spend too long fishing any one spot. No more than three good casts or swings through any good spot, then move out or step down. Change up the retrieves too - dead drift, slow strips, and sometimes (though rarely in the winter) quick short twitches.

Fishing streamers in the winter can be a methodical game, but when it pays off it's often worth it.

I agree with TM - the sinktips are great because they keep the fly down. I use a 200gr Streamer Express - it's a 30' tip with an intermediate running line. With a 4' leader and lightly weighted or unweighted fly you can dredge the slow deep pools where the big boys hang out.

Russ

Looking to buy a new sink tip as my current one has gone 3 years and is cracking and not casting as it once did. You know my streamer rod ( 7 wt. sage VPS).

I have a SA wet tip express type 4. Want something a little faster sink rate and am open to options. Are you happy with your sink tip? Is this a SA?

What are some of you others using?

Thanks

ps. How is the baby?