Fly Fusion Forums

Best All Around Vise?

Brad29

I don't have experience with good quality vises, unfortunately. I recommend you don't make the same mistake.

$200 is middle of the road. I recommend either bumping that up to $300+ and getting a high quality tool that will last a lifetime (some of the experts here could recommend one, I'm sure), or cutting it short and getting something in the $100 range that you will replace every few years.

I want to buy a new vise, rotary preferabley. What is a good brand to buy under $200.00.

Thanks, Brad.

for under 200 check out the Peak. Over 200 The Renzetti Traveler is a great vice. The Nore-Vice is also a tremendous product. Use the try before you buy rule. There area a lot of really great vices out there. A lot breaks down to personal preferences and tying style. Do you like the look and feel. There have been a number of previous posts asking the same question. check em out.

For about 200, the Griffin Montana Mongoose is a good choice. It's the vise i use right now, it comes with both a c-clamp and an pedistal, carrying case and a couple other tools. It's solid and full rotary. I've tied about 20-30,000 flies on it so far and no issues.

I use the Anvil Atlas. Its the rotary version of the Apex. Its right in the $200 range. It is what I would call "middle of the road." The jaws chipped after about 6 months. I haven't dealt with the company yet re: replacement. Best case scenario I am out of a vice while the jaws go to the states and back.

I am kicking myself for not getting something like a Renzetti/Regal/NorVise etc.

I think a$ 200.00 vice can last a lifetime. It also depends on use and abuse.

I have a Peak rotary for 3 years after discussing this same topic 3 years ago. It is, as described in a vice review, Bombproof. Jaws, are the integral part of the system and I think over time some may wear out. I consider this to be normal for all equipment fishing related or not. IMO

A lot of the vices mentioned are quality and will last. Test drive as some have stated.

Cheers

rob

For about 200, the Griffin Montana Mongoose is a good choice. It's the vise i use right now, it comes with both a c-clamp and an pedistal, carrying case and a couple other tools. It's solid and full rotary. I've tied about 20-30,000 flies on it so far and no issues.

I got a Griffin Odyssey vice from the wife. Have you heard of this one. It looks pretty sweet. Comments?

FHD

The nicest Rotary I've tied on is the Stenzel..sold my Nor-Vice and Mongoose....both good vices but not for me...I now tie on the Waldron vice(expensive)....and my lady ties on the Stenzel. The Stenzel isn't a clamp jaw vice but a pin lock device that locks the hook with a short turn of the knob...Simple is very good! Fully rotary and simple as hexk....but pricey!

C

I would advocate the Peak vice as it is, as described - a good bang for your bucks!

I bought one (Pikes Peak package) after reading a shoot out on a good few vices by Hans Weilenmann and Bruce Salzburg and in consultation with Peak owner Kurt Pflock. I have no regrets on the purchase as the only other vice I would have considered would have been the LAW but monetary constraints put this out of reach for the present!

I reviewed the vice for our forum in the UK here - Peak Vice Review

Guess I'm old fashioned (and old) but I tie on a Regal which in my mind is still number 1..........Simple, not fancy, not full rotary, but rotates and the jaws always hold hooks........While rotary is o.k., unless you tie comercially I can't really see the need.......