* Sachet d'epices:

o 1 teaspoon or so black peppercorns, cracked

o 6-8 parsley stems, chopped

o 1 bay leaf

o 1/4 tsp. dried thyme leaves

o 1/4 tsp. dried tarragon leaves

o 1/4 tsp. dried oregano leaves

o 1/4 tsp. dried basil leaves

o The above ingredients are placed into a 4" square of cheesecloth and tied into a sack, or use a metal tea ball.

Break up the turkey carcass, and chop some of the larger bones in half. Put the carcass in the stockpot with the water and bring slowly to a simmer. Periodically skim off any scum that forms, and if you wish use a skimmer to skim off the fat. (This stock simmering process makes your house smell REALLY good!) Let this simmer for two hours.

Add the mirepoix and sachet; tie the sachet closed with some twine and tie the long end of the twine to the handle of the pot; this makes the bag easier to retrieve. (A tea ball also works well.) Simmer for one more hour.

Remember that during the simmering process, it's best not to stir the stock. The end result will be much clearer if it is not agitated while simmering.

Strain thoroughly; the best way to do this is to ladle the stock out and pour it through a strainer which has been lined with a couple of layers of damp cheesecloth. If you're using the stock immediately, skim off as much fat as you can with a fat skimmer or a piece of paper towel, otherwise cool the stock right away by placing the container into an ice-water-filled sink, stirring to bring the hot liquid from the center to the sides of the container. Don't just put hot stock in the refrigerator; it won't cool enough to prevent possible multiplication of harmful bacteria. To defat the stock easily, refrigerate overnight, until the fat solidifies on the surface, then skim off.

Makes about 6 quarts of stock.

Only three hours, eh Weedy?

I usually go at least 4, even 8 sometimes. You know it's worked when it gels up when it cools.

Best stock tip I've ever heard - leave the skins on the onions. Gives the stock a lovely golden color. I also love sage and sometimes even a lemon or two.

I love what stock does to your house...the windows get all foggy and the whole place just smells amazing.

Dave, you can't go wrong with banks and insurance co's. They just keep printing money year in and year out.

I've gone from 500 dollars and made 1500 on top of it. So i have 2000 dollars to re-invest right now. Small amount but im trying to build and empire if ya know what I mean. This is my fun account anyway. My other stuff is all medium risk.

If I can raise enough cash i'll try and buy some BRK.B but they're almost 5000 bucks a share.

Banks, in the short term, will (imho) take it on the chin because of the sub prime debacle (were not done seeing the effects of that). Could be a buying opportunity.

Buying a big bank or utility has (mostly) been a nice safe (dividend paying!) long term option. In the longer (20+ yrs) term the snowballing of the dividend reinvestment can be significant.

I still like gold...