Fly Fusion Forums

New Rules For Entering Alberta

LynnF

Think this will slow down the population surge? If it wasn't so friggin' true, it'd be funnier,

NEW rules for entering Alberta :

1. Bring your own house.

2. If going to the Oil Sands, bring your own house, school and hospital.

3. If going to Edmonton , wear your flak jacket. This is the murder capital of Canada .

4. If driving to Edmonton , it is also the auto theft centre of Canada .

5. If you are bringing drugs, head to Fort McMurray , the drug capital of Canada .

6. If you are looking for work, look no further. Average wage is $15.60/hour.

7. If you work downtown, parking costs $15.00/hour.

8. If you are able to buy a house in Edmonton , or Calgary , why not spend the money on a 15 year holiday.

9. If you drive a Hummer, look out. We have the highest gas prices in Canada . The Alberta Advantage.

10. In Edmonton we have 5 hospitals. 10 years ago we had 7. Don't come here sick.

11. In Calgary the population has exploded. The last road was paved 12 years ago. Calgary is a no parking zone.

THE NEW RULES FOR DRIVING IN ALBERTA :

1. You must first learn to pronounce the city name, it is: 'CAL-GREE' and 'ED-MIN-TIN'.

2. The morning rush hour is from 5:00 am to noon. The evening rush hour is from noon to 8:00 pm. Friday's rush hour starts on Thursday morning.

3. The minimum acceptable speed on most freeways is 130 kph. On Deerfoot & Whitemud, you are expected to match the speed of the airplanes coming in for a landing at the airport. Anything less is considered 'Wussy'.

4. Forget the traffic rules you learned elsewhere. We now have our own version of traffic rules. For example, cars/trucks with the loudest muffler go first at a four-way stop; the trucks with the biggest tires go second. However, in the suburbs, SUV-driving, cell phone-talking moms ALWAYS have the right of way.

5. If you actually stop at a yellow light, you will be rear ended, cussed out, and possibly shot.

6. Never honk at anyone. Ever. Seriously. It's another offense that can get you shot.

7. Road construction is permanent and continuous. Detour barrels are moved around during the middle of the night to make the next day's driving a bit more exciting, but nothing ever gets finished, and more construction starts everyday.

8. Watch carefully for road hazards such as drunks, skunks, dogs, cats, deer, barrels, cones, cows, horses, cats, mattresses, shredded tires, garbage, squirrels, rabbits, crows, and coyotes feeding on any of these items.

9. Deerfoot, QEII, Hwy 2, Calgary Trail, and Gateway Blvd are all the same road.

10. If someone actually has their turn signal on, wave them to the shoulder immediately to let them know it has been 'accidentally activated.'

11. If you are in the left lane and only driving 110 in a 80-90 kph zone, you are considered a road hazard and will be 'flipped off' accordingly. If you return the flip, you'll be shot.

12. For winter driving, it is advisable to wear your parka, toque, fur lined mittens and mukluks. Make sure you have a shovel, food, candle and blankets in the vehicle, as snow removal from the city streets is virtually non-existent until the spring thaw

Pretty funny!!

I have to comment on one of them though.. Alberta does not have the highest gas prices in the country!!

It irritates me when Albertans complain about gas prices. The maritime provinces on average are 10c/litre higher.

I don't think I find the roads here that fast, I mean I used to swim through traffic in Toronto at 160km/h knowing that the cops couldn't pull me over (not enough shoulder to do so in the express lanes of the 401) and if it wasn't rush hour I could up that to 180km/h, here at 140km/h I passing every one on hwy 2 like they are standing still. But then again in Ontario now 150km/h could get you a $2000 fine loss of licence for 1 week and car impounded for 1week.

even worse I beleive in Quebec Pedestrians don't have the right of way, you Jay walk you takes your chances.

I don't think I find the roads here that fast, I mean I used to swim through traffic in Toronto at 160km/h knowing that the cops couldn't pull me over (not enough shoulder to do so in the express lanes of the 401) and if it wasn't rush hour I could up that to 180km/h, here at 140km/h I passing every one on hwy 2 like they are standing still. But then again in Ontario now 150km/h could get you a $2000 fine loss of licence for 1 week and car impounded for 1week.

even worse I beleive in Quebec Pedestrians don't have the right of way, you Jay walk you takes your chances.

It's hard to say if the pedestrians do here. My son and 2 friends where hit by a car last Wed crossing in a marked zone with flashing lights. It was the second car to run the light. On Monday my son saw another person taken away in ambulance from the same x-walk.

I hope your son is ok

On city street I'm ussually around the Limit, cause of pedestians, and cyclist.

Question in Alberta do cyclists, have some completly diferent set of rules than any one else to drive by? and do these rules change daily I mean Calgary has it's own class of Pinhead cyclists.

Today there was a guy going from sidewalk to road as other cars would come up to him. cut infront of my van to make a left turn. I mean dang thats how God makes Angels ain't it. at least everday I see some cyclist or other breaking traffic laws, as they suit them.

Teck

Nice one, those driving rules are spot-on. After living in eastern Ontario for 4 months and driving in and around towns like Kingston and Belleville, coming home to Calgary traffic has been an absolute nightmare.

I do think Birchy is right about gas prices, though; in my road travels between Calgary and Kingston over the years I have noticed that gas is always highest between Wawa and Thunder Bay, usually peaking at Thunder Bay. One thing I don't understand though is that in October I was buying gas in Belleville for 92 cents/ltr, while in Calgary it was like $1.03/ltr.

If you are jay walking, in Calgary and you are hit by a car you can be held responsible for damages to a vehicle. I was told that by a police officer that kind of gave us crap for doing it on nose hill drive. Ask a family friend Cop and he said the same thing.

• 3 weeks later...
Nice one, those driving rules are spot-on. After living in eastern Ontario for 4 months and driving in and around towns like Kingston and Belleville, coming home to Calgary traffic has been an absolute nightmare.

I do think Birchy is right about gas prices, though; in my road travels between Calgary and Kingston over the years I have noticed that gas is always highest between Wawa and Thunder Bay, usually peaking at Thunder Bay. One thing I don't understand though is that in October I was buying gas in Belleville for 92 cents/ltr, while in Calgary it was like $1.03/ltr.

Found this the other day:

http://www.calgarygasprices.com/price_by_county.aspx?c=can