Fly Fusion Forums

Which Vice To Buy?

tigershark

Just wondering which vice you tyers like best? I have a basic vice but want to upgrade to a better one that rotates and is pedistal based I think. My buddy really likes his Dynaking Kingfisher. This is a xmas gift from the wife so i was thinking in the 200-250 range. Any thoughts/ recomendations?

Check here for some more discussion on the subject - http://flyangler.ca/forum/index.php?showtopic=3579

My personal choice would be to go for the Montana Mongoose it's around 200, come with both a pedistal and the c-clamp and a nice carrying case. It's full rotary, has a nice cam jaw and is build solid. I've owned HMH, Regal, Renzetti and Griffen and I like these the best so far. http://www.griffinenterprisesinc.com/vises.html

Really though if you can get a hold of someone with one of these vises, take it for a test spin to see if you really like it.

thanks for the advice. i want to look closer at the Griffin Mongoose, the Peak Rotary, the Renzetti Presentation (a little spendy) and the Dynaking Kingfisher or Trekker. Anything else that I missing? I was thinking Troutfitters and Country Pleasures to check them out as I have to come down from Banff. Are these the best shops for vices in Calgary?

In the end a vice just holds a hook. Someare better than others. I have a number of vices. Love the Renzetti Traveler. Tie a lot on the Nore Vice. Go to a good fly shop and try out a couple of different ones, it's a great way to decide. Personal preference plays a big part, just like models of cars.