Fly Fusion Forums

Golden Trout

I was thinking of trying the hike up to an alpine lake. The only problem I have is I don't know were to go. I would prefer to stay in Southern Alberta but is there good G. trout fishing down here....

Try Rainy Ridge Lake or the Barnaby Lakes in the extreme south or Coral Lake and Michele Lakes in west central Alberta. I've never been in there so check out the Alberta Fishing Guide for directions.

Try Rainy Ridge Lake or the Barnaby Lakes in the extreme south or Coral Lake and Michele Lakes in west central Alberta. I've never been in there so check out the Alberta Fishing Guide for directions.

Be better off in the south IMO, thats some rough country through the Cline River Canyon..I looked into hiking Southfork Lakes (Barnaby Ridge) .. It's about a 12km hike(round trip I believe), with a gain of over 2000m and it's like club Med for Grizzly's..but that's where the Record Golden Trout came from, and have talked to several people who fished it and say it's worth the hike..

I've never been either, but apparently you can ask Vic at Crowsnest Angler for directions to the lakes in the south.

We hiked up the ridge two years ago but started too late to get a good day in so we turned back. So the plan this year is to get an earlier start so I am headed to Barnaby Lakes in mid-August, let me know if you are interested.

I will be camping at Lundbreck and it is about a 30 minute drive to the trailhead. I have attached (I hope) a picture of the Castle Mountain Ski Resort from the trail.

Regards,

Tim

I hiked into Coral lake a couple of years ago. The hike itself is not too bad, can be done in a day 12-16hrs if you're fit and truckin it! We took it pretty easy on the way up as we were staying up there for a few days and the fact that we had fifty pounds of gear on our backs. We arrived at the lake in two days but it was well worth it. Fishing lakes you can use scuds 16-18 and leeches 10-12, we were doing fairly well with the scuds. As soon as the sun cleared the mountains the lake started to boil which is when we had our best fishing, then and before sun up. The fish were pretty small and you can bring a three weight but pack a five as well because the wind up there can get pretty bad at times. On the way out with a lot less gear and hungry for something other than cous-cous or rice we made the hike out in 14hrs.

If you or anybody plans on going there be respectful of the land you're in, it really beautiful up there and try to leave it as you found it.

I hiked into Coral lake a couple of years ago. The hike itself is not too bad, can be done in a day 12-16hrs if you're fit and truckin it! We took it pretty easy on the way up as we were staying up there for a few days and the fact that we had fifty pounds of gear on our backs. We arrived at the lake in two days but it was well worth it. Fishing lakes you can use scuds 16-18 and leeches 10-12, we were doing fairly well with the scuds. As soon as the sun cleared the mountains the lake started to boil which is when we had our best fishing, then and before sun up. The fish were pretty small and you can bring a three weight but pack a five as well because the wind up there can get pretty bad at times. On the way out with a lot less gear and hungry for something other than cous-cous or rice we made the hike out in 14hrs.

If you or anybody plans on going there be respectful of the land you're in, it really beautiful up there and try to leave it as you found it.

That's pretty hardcore LK!! I'm sure it'd be a blast though!

Just fork over a couple hundred bucks and take the helicopter ride up there. I did that at Michelle Lakes and had the trip of my life! 3 days of stunning scenery, bighorn sheep right in our camp, golden's everywhere we cast... Well worth it, I highly recommend it. Actually my avatar is a shot of Michelle Lakes from the air. It will save you a few years off your life after that hike!

Brownstone I might consider going to one of those lakes. I noticed in the regs those lakes are closed until Aug 1st so anytime after that let me know if you are interested and we will see if we could make our schedules work out.

I have hiked into Michele a couple of times. We started out at Owen Creek near Saskatchewan crossing. Use a topographic map or you could end up lost. Last year another fishing party had to spend the night way up high in the mountains, and were not able to fish very long. It was a 9 hour hike, bushwacking and up hill most of the way. Both times I have been there it snowed, in August and Labor day.

We caught a few fish 6-10" beautiful Golden Trout

Wish I had more time before I head home, I would love to do something like that.

3 of the past 4 years autumn sex has put a damper on my summer fishing...............I need to make a note.

Funny how math works..