Fly Fusion Forums

Question For All You Fanatical Tiers And Fishermen

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher

messy imitation?

I have seen more fish caught on badly tied patterns versus really perfect patterns. Any thoughts on whether you feel flies have to be tied perfectly to work?

Yeah sundance I agree. Trap some critters with large screen. Have close look....some nymphs actually have algae on them. Their bodies trap air bubbles. They are rather asymmetrical and wriggle and squirm. One suspects that ratty-ish flies more closely represent reality than the stiff super-life-like imitations. The BAW excepted. :)

DBT is right...whatever makes the fish and us happy.

One thing about what you are fishing with is that you have to have faith in it, or you will not fish it properly or thoroughly. The other thing is that what you might call poorly tied flies are rough and actually provide more movement in the water than some well tied patterns. For example a Tom Thumb seems to get more productive as it is pulled apart by fish taking it.

Most flies are tied to appeal to aesthetics first and the fish second, so it really doesn't matter what your skill level is as a tyer, you can and will still catch fish.

Weedy what is that pattern? Could you show a pic from another angle?

i think we can give ya the bulltrout love kit for 10g's jsut stocked her up with some new goodies lastweek :lol: we got paypal.......

First off, what's this "we" crap? You pimpin' SJWs stuff now?

And is 10g the give away rate? Seems a bit steep for streamers that are too heavy for me to cast and as such, are just going to repeatedly hit me in the head.

But what the hell, if ya got paypal and I can put it on my credit card.....