Fly Fusion Forums

Mckenzie Lake

I know you need permission to get on this lake, but is there some god ice fishing there?? Anyone on here fish there in the winter???

Sorry John, but we don't really talk about fishing around here anymore. It's just too depressing.

I have never ice fished Mackenzie, but my bro in law lives there and he says it is really good. I know there are some big fish in there.

Guest Rocknbugs
I know you need permission to get on this lake, but is there some god ice fishing there?? Anyone on here fish there in the winter???

I live in Mackenzie lake man, if want to go out PM me. I bought an ice fishing rod last year and have never used it as a matter of fact I dont know how to ice fish as I have not done it since I was a little kid but am willing to try. There is a ton of fish in the lake.

Guest Sundancefisher

I would suggest someone request the lake association put up a sign explaining the dangers of introducing perch. Our lake in Sundance was unfortunately stocked by some kids when they were about 11 years old.

They moved them from Midnapore. Carburn could also be a source.

Pretty destructive to the trout fishery.

Cheers.

Kevin

Whats even funnier is watching your two and half year old step in a hole and look up at you with panic on his face and that look that says what is going on!.... and am i o.k?!

Hey,

We may actually pay our lake fees this week (only 6 months late!). You gone ice fishing yet?

Weedy,

If you look a little south and west, you'll find Chaparral (my neighborhood lake). They have them too. I would call them piers or docks more than anything else. People tie up their kayaks, paddleboats, canoes or whatever to them. Many just sit on 'em. They do make great casting platforms as well.

My buddy has a house on one of these neighborhood lakes a little further south. I went out on the dock to fish a bit (the night I stuck a streamer in my head) and when I dropped my leech in the water and was stripping out line, a HUGE rainbow swam from under the dock to investigate. Didn't catch him, but I will never again pass up a chance to cast at these docks when I'm drifting by.

i have a storm drain lake in my community, no fish as the levels fluctuate drastically.

the lake community lakes are built specifically for stocking fish for the community. every household in the community (at least some of the communities) pay a maintaince fee that goes towards things like lake upkeep.

Guest bigbadbrent

Yeah, pay the big bucks to live on a 'lake' and get a little beach to visit...

Mckenzies the best private lake in calgary i've fished so far...some of em get friggin huge...

Get away from the casting dock (especially when the spincasters come out to play, hard to cast with a dozen kids running around you...I'm sure some of you recall when i was on the lake in Okotoks, and hooked into the bra-strap of a tart :P) and you'll be golden

Guest bigbadbrent

Max, i can prove that they can't live in pretty "nasty" water (nasty is of course, completely opinionated)., they will almost complete stop spawning in water that has a pH less then 6, and with a pH less then 5, they will refuse to spawn. With too much effluent in the water, the trout will get more stressed, have their liver start to break down, and have a mortality of nearly 100% compared to normal water.....i wrote an entire paper on that a month ago, if you want to read it, i can email you it

Guest bigbadbrent
not always dude...i will show you

what is excellent water too a fish? so many variables an you know this

yes always max. The thing about avoidance is, if they can't avoid it, its not like they're just gonna curl up and die, of course they're going to have to try to truck through it, If a fish has a choice between better water then crappy water, it will choose the better water. If a fish is stuck in something that has crap water, it will try its best to survive, but thats cause of the circumstances.

Birchy, the good thing about our waste mangement is that it isnt killing the fish (and is benificial to the browns and rainbows..not so much for the whitefish). Read a scientific paper where they were researching a river in sweden, where they were actively exterminating their brown trout population, cause their effluent wasn't treated wel;