Fly Fusion Forums

Annual Trip To Austria

DutchDryfly

My annual trip to Austria with some friends was again very nice.

We had the best weather we ever had, which meant that the fish were not in the frenzy-mode.

But they were definitely bigger and fatter then other years, due to the warm weather which started beginning of May.

I let the pictures speak for themselves, but will gladly answer any question you might have.

Day 1 on the Hintersee

Naamloos-6.jpg

Naamloos-10.jpg

Naamloos-4.jpg

Day 2 on the Salzach

Naamloos-15.jpg

Naamloos-16.jpg

Naamloos-17.jpg

Day 3 Upper Krimmler Ache (altitude 1800 meters)

Naamloos-38.jpg

Naamloos-42.jpg

Naamloos-41.jpg

Naamloos-43.jpg

Beautifull photos. Did you manage to take video again this year? Were the fish taking any dry flys? What insects were hatching?

Thanks for posting DutchDryFly.

No video this year, all friends with camera were not able to make it. Almost all the fish were taken on dries, Caddis, Royal Coachman and Klinkhammers.

I have never experienced a hatch in Austria, most of the time it is to cold and this year it was to warm. Oddly enough we did not catch anything on nymphs. But in the rare occasion the trout and grayling were not rising ( 2 hours in the whole week ), a sinktip with a muddler did the trick.

Beautiful trip. What were the size ranges of fish and how many did you catch?

The average size of the fish on the Krimmler Ache lies between 12 and 15 inches. There are some bigger ones to be found, the brown one on day 4 was just shy of 18 inches and the Grayling was 17 inches. We saw even some bigger fish but did not manage to catch them. For numbers, it is possible to fish together and catch 50 fish a day each.

For the other rivers and lakes, the average size lies between 15 inch and 30 inch for browns and between 15 and 22 inch for grayling. More difficult to catch and not as many as on the Krimmler Ache. Overall I would say we managed 25 fish a day each.

It was a bit more difficult due to the hot weather, we had days with 22-30 degrees Celsius.

Rob

PS: You can check the website of the hotel at Braurup

PPS: From tomorrow on, I expect the same curtasy of photo-reports. Exactly 3 months to go till my visit and can hardly wait.