Fly Fusion Forums

Fire Near Burntstick Lake

Download both the AB and BC Wildfire app onto your smartphone. Comes in handy.

I find it amazing that so far this yr we've had 4 fires in the Rocky area and essentially none in the hyper critical SW corner.

• Like 1

Download both the AB and BC Wildfire app onto your smartphone. Comes in handy.

I find it amazing that so far this yr we've had 4 fires in the Rocky area and essentially none in the hyper critical SW corner.

Taco, one thing to consider is we have hundreds of men out in the bush everyday working. Oil/Gas/Coal Exploration/Logging, Despite what you read in the newspapers it is definitely not dead up here. As busy as I've seen it in the last 5 years especially up in Braz country. So this being said, there's more exhaust, more disturbance, and the big one, more cigarette butts. I know all the ones so far here have not necessarily been from any of these but just keep that in mind, there are 3 thousand gas wells around here. Another point I'd like to bring up is that because of the ATV/Fire bans that started way SW, then extended to anything south of the bow, now all the people who used to use southern Alberta crown land that want to have a fire and rip around are coming up here. So that does not help either. Clearwater County JUST imposed some fire restrictions here prior to the weekend, you can still have a fire but it has to be in a pit. We haven't been hurting for rain here as much as places 50 km east or south of us. Sundre and Red Deer are dry as a popcorn fart, it's really not that bad here, we've had fairly steady rain, still less than normal though. I see Waterton is bracing for one spreading up from Montana. I sure hope it is OK.

But back on topic, yes, the fire is growing westward I'm told, and they foresee getting it contained in the next day or two. Has yet to be confirmed but rumor going around Bearberry area was it was random campers responsible for this one. Rig street area.

• Like 1