Fly Fusion Forums

Rainbow Trout With Halos

I caught a rainbow trout last year in BC in Kikoman Creek, or at least I thought it was a rainbow. The only thing that confused me was the eveidence of halos along the side along with the pink stripe. Is there a name for this type of rainbow or is it a hybrid or something? I saw a sign at Forgetmenot Ridge in K country that said something about it, I think Assiniboine or Athabasca Rainbow? Anyone know what I'm talking about? I'll post a pic later to illustrate what I mean. Unless someone knows what I'm talking about.

The sign you saw in Kananaskis would have most like been showing the Athabasca Rainbow. They have considerably more markings than most rainbows. Also I have found that some of the rainbows in small BC streams become quite colourful. I fished this one stream and could have sworn that I caught a golden trout due to the colours. There are many different varieties of rainbow that have different appearances.

Ah yes Athabasca. At least I wasn't dreaming. It does seem that BC fish are more colourful indeed. I love it!

I agree with you fishpro there are many different appearances, I was just so amazed at these halos. I've never seen that on a rainbow and everything I read makes the remarks "absence of halos" in regard to rainbows. And then I saw the sign. I don't think it was an Athabasca rainbow out in BC but you never know. What are the chances it was a juvenile steelhead?

Yeah Greg, Athabascas are the only native rainbows in Alberta. They're native to the Athabasca and upper Peace systems. That's one of the things I'm going to miss living down here...catching those little beauties.