Fly Fusion Forums

Poor Hook Sets

steadyswingin

So I have started doing a bit of nymphing with a switch rod running a compact scandi line and have noticed losing a lot more fish due to spit hooks. I feel like the weight of the scandi head makes me lose some contact and leads to a softer hook set. Then again, I am also tying droppers to the shank of the hook, which some people believe causes poor hookups. What do the pros think?

Scandi's allow you to fish at a much greater distance, which equals longer times before the hook is set. This could be causing you to not effectively set the hook, because the increased distance has created a less forceful and effective hook set. Try everything Toolman has said. The weight of the head is not the issue. This is what I would recommend!

Nick

Thanks for the tips, guys.

Believe me, I prefer throwing tight loops with a juicy streamer. Typically, I swing my way downstream and then nymph my way back up to the car. Hate carrying two rods.

Have gotten a few really nice fish with the streamer (violent takes on the drift, rarely grab on the swing/strip) but not much consistency. The walk upstream tends to give my arm a much better workout ... at least for brief periods! Hope to actually land a few more next time around.

Haha I wasn't teasing you, I was just making sure I was understanding you. But ya, I'd presume the heavy long head slows your ability to hook set.

If your scandi isn't integrated, you could consider buying a cheap floating line and making a sh head out of that. That way you can just change your head out for the walk upstream.

When I bring my switch, I use a smith creek rod clip on my hip pack. A bit of a pita, but better than leaving your rod on the bank and have to hike back to get it.

• Like 1