Fly Fusion Forums

Awesome Scud

hydropsyche

It looks like the latex is woven with ostrich herl. I tie a Shane Stalcup caddis nymph that use's a very similar technique. It's actually a pretty simple weave to do - just don't ask me to put it into words! :lol: I'll try find a link for a description though. Sweet find with the website by the way, thanks for sharing.

LS,

a quick look and here is the rough tie!

Hook - any decent scud or shrimp hook

Underbody possibly of shaped lead or thread build up but I would go with some lead at least to get it down

Ostrich herl - top quality - dense fibre stuff

Shell back - either the weave method in the thread or thin skin coloured with permanent markers and ribbed over with fine wire before the application of epoxy coat,

Feelers - look to be Partridge hackle and the eyes are melted mono with black epoxy enamel on the outside edge

So, what are you waiting for? Get them tied up!

That is a sweet looking fly. I love the 360 degree viewing, that is killer.

I agree with AC in the pattern description. I think the ostrich is likely tied on with a mono rib on the bottom, perhaps 3-4 herls in what looks like a callibeatis colour. I'm thinking that the feelers may actually be a cree hackle and they look stiffer than the partridge. Either way, I think they look awesome.

Just a quick knock up, no shellback used.

Tie front feelers and eyes in before you weight the hook, add lead to get shape required, cover with thread/floss. Tie mono rib and herl under hook, twist herl into a rope and pull back to eye, follow with rib, colour if needed, cover with epoxy.

I've not looked at the pattern he used but you'll get the idea.

scud1.jpg

epoxied

scud2.jpg

Just had a look at the pattern, he does indeed use the Pott's weave.

Quick knock up that way using ultralace instead of latex. Similar result but one takes 2 minutes to tie the other 10.

scud3.jpg

Nice looking flies there, Tango. What I really like about this pattern is the eyes/feelers at the bend.

They were just very rough knock ups to show the same effect with/without the pain of weaving. I'll do tidy ones and put the step by steps up.

Another couple of scuds for your perusal.

http://ukflydressing.proboards83.com/index...read=1190546717

http://ukflydressing.proboards83.com/index...0542&page=1