Fly Fusion Forums

How High Is A Fly Tying Table To Be

Fisherwoman

Mine is 31 inches -- an old desk. No probs with back etc. I am about 5'11".

The key may be a good adjustable-height chair that you can vary the height of. Also, there should be some play in the height of your vise. Between the chair and vise adjustments you should be able to correct your neck probs.

BTW...if you find that you have to boost the chair so high that your feet dangle or are uncomfortable, get a foot stool to take the pressure of your legs.

Oh yeah .. some tie with the vise clamped to the edge of the desk. I find that uncomfortable and awkward too. If you have a pedestal vise you can place the vise where it is most comfortable. I drilled a hole in my desk and the "split clamp" vise sits approx 20 cm from the edge of the desk so I can rest my arms on the desk--takes strain of neck I suspect.

Good luck !

Clive

I'm finding my shoulders / neck are feeling cramped is this normal?

Nope. I suspect its too low. In the winter, I tie flies on my coffee table (pedestal vice) sitting on the couch, and if I do it for too long, my back gets tight. In the summer, I tie out in the garage standing up. I think the general goal is to have the fly at about shoulder level for the best comfort.

Yes this is completely normal. What you need is to adjust your table height so that yout bottle of scotch is closer to hand. That way although your neck will still hurt, the scotch will go a long way to sooth things. Mind you to get a perfect height you need to measure your boobs like ladystrange has kindly suggested. Fascinated by this technical procedure I decided to parsue this little known fly tying tip. It did not show up in any of my fly thing books. Plus the fact I for example do not have boobs, although as I get a bit older the problem of chest sag may it's ugly head.

I tried to measure my wifes boobs to get the proper perspective on things but I did not see the rolling pin because it came from behind. I am now nursing not only a sore neck but also a black eye which I did not have before. So I don't overall suggest this entire procedure because tying with only one good eye and a neck that is kinked at a 45 degree angle is not at all conducive to fly tying.

Before all of this scientific experimentation I normally tied at an old office desk on an office chair. Worked great and I had no pain. You might search computer ergonomics to get the right posture. Or rely on a good brand of scotch.

mines portable. i can adjust the threading so the height of the vise is always correct. but about boob height, any higher is uncomfortable.

Hi LS. Thank-you for that advice.. it worked.. I tried it tonight, my chair for one thing was to low, table to high I changed chair and table. Put on a better light and glasses to see better. I had my arm up in the air elbow sticking up and out thought holly crap somethings gotta change maken my flies, my vise don't go anylower. Which I got a garage sale this summer for 5 bucks, really good deal I thought. Boob method is the way to go, stick out chest and wala, perfect, I'm the only one near or around my bench so no worries it's going to be moved....

I'll see how this goes might need to make somemore changes... later on.

Thanks.

Hi LS. Thank-you for that advice.. it worked.. Boob method is the way to go, stick out chest and wala, perfect, I'm the only one near or around my bench so no worries it's going to be moved....

Thanks.

HA, and Silver Doctor dared to mock me. For Shame. :P

but seriously it has to do with the angle between your arms and your vise. because mine is portable, i found it easier to use chest height as a messure. i can still manuver to see the different angles and not get a sore neck, shoulder, back etc. good light is always important too.

I was tying today and checked again. I take back what I say about shoulder height. Its actually nipple height. Sorry about posting bad advice.

Hi, Well I'm glad your talking about your nipple height, Sure glad I never said that! ;-) On me, I see it's just between armpit and nipple..

Thank-you....

well that depends. if you are female and 70, gravity will have taken affect and the nipples would be at waist height, so that would not be a good messurement. i use boob in general because we all have a preconceived notion of where our boods used to be and still think they are. but if you want better directions, for those who dont know the female anatonmy :rolleyes: ... try mid-sterum since the sterum will not be adversly affected by mother nature and the laws of physics.

My table is at about waist hight, but I am sitting in a high chair also (Note: in now way is high chair in reference to a baby seat!!!) I sit back in my chair and my arms are slightly bent, been ting a ton of bull flies as of late. When ting small *hit, I am a bit closer as I need to sqent my eyes a bit!!!!!

I would say whatever makes you confortable is an "Accaptable" hight.