Fly Fusion Forums

Tippet Rings... Do You Use Them?

BowLurker

I've always been fairly consistent with my line-to-line knots and I can still see...( kind of :D ) but I've decided to try this option out on my terminal tackle. My leader will last quite a bit longer, and it makes tying on a dropper system a lot easier.

Clinch knots are suggested, but I might try out non-slip loops as well, just for a more flowing action. I enjoy different styles of nymphing, but still like fishing dries, so the easy tippet switch will be handy.

Is it just an extra place (knot) for the line/tippet connection to fail? Will I be able to dry fly fish with this system? Any thoughts are appreciated.

tippet_ring_zpsfdfv1blw.jpg

-M.

My pref is to use a small swivel (sz 12) instead as it helps prevent line twist and can act as a weight (or as a stop for when you use spilt shot). I know some don't like this technique as it acts as a hinge when casting multiple fly rigs, but this hasn't been an issue for me as I try to open my loops.

It's an option...

• Like 1

My pref is to use a small swivel (sz 12) instead as it helps prevent line twist and can act as a weight (or as a stop for when you use spilt shot). I know some don't like this technique as it acts as a hinge when casting multiple fly rigs, but this hasn't been an issue for me as I try to open my loops. It's an option...

+1 ÜberFly.. shot some lines and drifted a few tonight. Didn't feel much different, but the twisties were terrible...might try the swivel as well.

Did a few 'HighStick'/ indicator shore drifts...hard to explain, but I could feel the end of the leader a bit better. Hmm...

-M.

I use the 2mm rings on small streams. Makes changing leaders easy and they float nicely with your leader (I do grease my leader and ring except for droppers when fishing dries). Leaders do last a lot longer I find. Don't use them all the time but do like them for hopper dropper type rigs as the dropper isn't attached to the fly and I can feel the take better on both flies. The only down side is tying em stream side as these old eyes aren't what they where, so out comes the magnifier. I've lost a few fumbling streamside. Normally I rig up a few leaders like this both commercial tapered & furled and use a clinch knot on the tapered leader side and a loop to loop on the ring.

Like any part of your terminal tackle be sure you consistently check knots kinks etc. But its all personal preference in the end.

Normally I rig up a few leaders like this both commercial tapered & furled and use a clinch knot on the tapered leader side and a loop to loop on the ring.

Like any part of your terminal tackle be sure you consistently check knots kinks etc. But its all personal preference in the end.

Oh don't worry, I get ready with pre-ties. (Secrets are being told!! :D )

Had great response with the Euro-style for the first part of the drift...two whiteys and a Rainbow! Woohoo!

It does drift deeper, which is ok, dry fly guys have to post in.

-M.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the Tippet Rings, yup, it's faster to find the ring....

If you want more 'Rock Snot' cool, go for it.

If you want to spook testy Rainbows in a "fishing" weekend, go for it.

I can tie line-to-line pretty well...the hinge though/kinda handy.

Caught 4 with nymphs, but the tippet ring is noisy..if that makes sense. The 'twistys' were bad.

-M.