Fly Fusion Forums

Public Lands Act Amendent

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/orders/Orders_in_Council/2016/716/2016_204.pdf

This just happened and it could mean some really good things for Alberta's critical habitat.

Here's what it means in a nutshell. Under the previous rules violations of the Public Lands Act had to go before a judge. Now officers have the discretion to issue voluntary payment tickets on the spot.

I think this is a very positive step. I've felt like officers are more willing to issue warnings when they know a court sentence is the next step. This amendment puts OHV violations in the same category as speeding tickets and other related fines. This should lead to a much higher volume of citations being issued. I think hitting these violators right in the wallet might be the best way to change the behaviour.

Great to see our enforcement friends the teeth they need to make an impact!

• Like 1

Let's hope!

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/orders/Orders_in_Council/2016/716/2016_204.pdf

This just happened and it could mean some really good things for Alberta's critical habitat.

Here's what it means in a nutshell. Under the previous rules violations of the Public Lands Act had to go before a judge. Now officers have the discretion to issue voluntary payment tickets on the spot.

I think this is a very positive step. I've felt like officers are more willing to issue warnings when they know a court sentence is the next step. This amendment puts OHV violations in the same category as speeding tickets and other related fines. This should lead to a much higher volume of citations being issued. I think hitting these violators right in the wallet might be the best way to change the behaviour.

Great to see our enforcement friends the teeth they need to make an impact!

This amendment puts OHV violations in the same category as speeding tickets and other related fines.

Hopefully like speeding tickets (going 50+ km/h over the posted limit) and DUIs there will still be a certain threshold that results in an automatic court appearance. Basically, going a bit off trail onto the grass = ticket but driving up and down a river = court appearance and fine.

• Like 5

How I wish that someone would post court actions done by the phantom enforcement officers. Apparently 10 existed in the Rocky area last year and based on court news, they didn't do anything.

New fines won't change attitudes. Higher fines will.

Don

• Like 1