Fly Fusion Forums

Wet Wading

scel

Yo, mountain stream aficionados!

So, I have always been someone who has just used their waders. I had a 4km walk and I decided that I would just pack a pair of Chaco sandals. Coupled with some quick dry pants, I found traipsing through the freestone stream refreshing and comfortable.

Of course, with sandals, there are some issues, like rock extraction and toe-smashing, but they are, for the most part comfortable. If I had to stand in the water, they might be a little chilly, but I only used them to cross over the river.

What do you use for wet wading?

Simms Vapor boots. I started out wet wading in sandals as well but after slicing my foot open on something decided I needed something that would offer better protection.

I've also heard that Five Ten Canyoneer shoes are supposed to be a good wet wading option but haven't tried them myself.

Whatever the case I would suggest if you're using neo socks and wader boots, get gravel guards. I was using MEC neo booties up until last year before switching to Simms socks with built in gravel guards. With the MEC pair I was having to on a regular basis remove my boots to dislodge pebbles and such. Not a problem now with the gravel guards.

I wear the simms sandal, and they're great. Get the occasional rock, but other then that. Really, fished all day on saturday with them and only had to stop once for a big rock that got in. Small pebbles will self-extract.

They're pretty blatantly ripping off the Keen sandal, but thats not a bad thing for fit and function. or go to the riprap shoe (sandal that has all the holes meshed out), but i feel this may have more gravel issues

I wear the simms sandal, and they're great. Get the occasional rock, but other then that. Really, fished all day on saturday with them and only had to stop once for a big rock that got in. Small pebbles will self-extract.

They're pretty blatantly ripping off the Keen sandal, but thats not a bad thing for fit and function. or go to the riprap shoe (sandal that has all the holes meshed out), but i feel this may have more gravel issues

Cool. I looked at my Keens and my Chacos. I went with the Chacos based on backpack space and regretted the decision when I jammed something under my big toenail. I like the Simms Vibram. I find Vibram really makes a big difference.