Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Patch For Drying Flies

SilverDoctor

Most of the Fly Vests I have bought in the past have had a drying patch where you could pin your fly to dry, add a fly as you are changing patterns or just hold you existing fly as you are fumbling through your box. This last vest didn't have one. I've always used a fleece patch but flies do tend to fall off as the fleece gets matted. I've also had foam ripple ones that hold better and last quite a while.

Some of the store bought ones are great but thought I would build my own. Here is an idea and I'm sure you can do one up if you need to.

Start with a chunk of closed cell foam cut to size and a Safety pin, I'm using a piece of 1" thick foam here.

IMG_1151.jpg

Make a slot in the foam big enough to run the head of the safety pin through, I used an eXacto Knife. Of course taking care not to plunge the blade through yourself. We don't want the foam to change color. Put the knife away so you don't sit on it.

IMG_1153.jpg

Push the head of the Safety Pin through the slot in the foam. Oooo the suspense.

IMG_1154.jpg

Pin it to your favourite vest. Nice thing is you can make a few for vests, bags straps etc. Sometimes during hot summer days for a quick trip I just wander small waters with a couple of patches pinned to my shirt filled with flies. Hope this gives someone some Ideas.

IMG_1156.jpg

• Like 5