Fly Fusion Forums

Night Fishing On The Bow

Hi everyone,

I am going to touch down in Calgary this week and depending on Mrs.Boss's to do list; I might have the time to do a short night fishing this Friday.

So keeping my hopes high, how is fishing right now especially at the night. I might be able to bring a 4wt 8ft with me for this short trip.

I will be staying around the airport and looking for somewhere close to fish for a couple of hours. cheers.

Yes, I can do fish creek park.

Will it be considered as a trespassing if I am still fishing inside the park after the gates close?

by the way, any spots in the NW around Bowmont and Bakers Park?

I think I should just bring a heavier rod for mousing in the dark.

by the way, any spots in the NW around Bowmont and Bakers Park?

I think I should just bring a heavier rod for mousing in the dark.

Unfortunately this section is closed April 1 to May 31, so you will have to fish below the weir just south of downtown.

There are a bunch of other access points for you though.

If you are worried about the park, then Bankside, on the North end of Fish creek park does not close its parking. This is just off bow bottom trail, before you enter the park "gates"

• Like 1

Unfortunately this section is closed April 1 to May 31, so you will have to fish below the weir just south of downtown.

There are a bunch of other access points for you though.

If you are worried about the park, then Bankside, on the North end of Fish creek park does not close its parking. This is just off bow bottom trail, before you enter the park "gates"

I've gotten more then one warning at bankside. It's posted as being shut at 8:00, regardless of the gate.

Just park outside of the gates and walk in. Never had an issue doing that, ever.

• Like 1

A lot of information here, the Fish Creek certainly a top pick. I googled up some areas like Douglasbank Park, the Glenmore trail, graves bridge, sue higgins bridge, and mallard point just north of the bridge. what do you guys think about them?

And what flies should I use this time around for night fishing?

A lot of information here, the Fish Creek certainly a top pick. I googled up some areas like Douglasbank Park, the Glenmore trail, graves bridge, sue higgins bridge, and mallard point just north of the bridge. what do you guys think about them?

And what flies should I use this time around for night fishing?

You will have the moon on your side this week. It is fun to fish for risers with a full moon. You cannot really see your fly. You have to track your line and listen for the rise. Otherwise, I would go for a streamer of some sort---something where you fish by feel. Even with the full moon, it is hard to see an indicator.

• Like 1

thank you scel,

Considering that I can start to fish at 6pm at the earliest, I might as well start with a weighted streamer with floating line.

6pm!!! That is not night fishing. You will have 3.5 hours of potentially the best fishing of the day. Bring a collection of size 16&18 Blue Wing Olive dry flies and emergers and hope the wind is low.

• Like 2

Scel, I wished I saw your posting before I packed my stuffs. You were absolutely right 6pm was not a night fishing. The sun refused to set until 9pm and by that time I've done swinging streamers.

I actually had one BWO landed on my hand and saw your water boatman 30 minutes before the sun set. I'll bring lighter gears the next time I hit the Bow again.

By the way, do you have any fly recommendation for Bow and Fish Creek? I have a pro fly tier friend who can basically tie me a bow special.