Fly Fusion Forums

Brushes With Greatness!

bigalcal

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool people I have met,

BB King, Buddy Guy,Iggy Pop , The Clash, Joey Ramone, The Hip ( not so cool ),Dead Kennedies, John Lydon, Roy Orbison, Headstones etc etc ....One of the nicest was Tom Russel...Most Interesting...David Suzuki....Perks of my job I guess

Very impressive list man. I was a couple feet away from Buddy at a show in Ottawa, when he walked into the crowd while tearing up the strat...would have passed him the spliff if he wasn't busy blowing minds. That's the closest I've come to a brush-with-fame other than some skateboarders who are big on that scene, and a family friend who is a famous mountain biker.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your profession? And what was uncool about the Hip?

edit: Forgot about my trip to the flames dressing room a couple years ago, where I met Jarome and their goaltender at the time, Freddy Brathwaite (sp?). As a hardcore Oilers fan it was pretty intense being in the heart of enemy territory, but Iginla was really cool, a totally down-to-earth NHL superstar. Freddy was great too, very kind and funny.

Snakeman, I build professional sound,video and lighting systems and have worked in this industry since 1980..Met hundreds of bands and have a good collection of tour swag and my favorite individual piece is from the Clash..North American Campaign Tour 1982...Biggest dink ever met...Bruce Allen...What a fxxking dork, this was on the Brian Adams tour about 1989 or so....Other stories over a few beers would make you laugh so hard you might die!!

You probably met me Cousin Dan then he used to work for Sound art

and my crowning Acheive meant A 10 minute conversation Jerry Garcia after their concert in Kingston ON in '89

That is way too cool dude. What did you talk about?

My Deadhead uncle ate breakfast with Jerry when they were staying at the same hotel before a show in New York state. He said that Jerry was a really cool and humble guy.

In order to bring myself good luck, I'm going to say that I hope my biggest brush will be with Dean Roland of Collective Soul when they're here in January. If you hear of me dying in the new year, this is what happened.

However, I have in fact met the following:

Lead singer and bass player for April Wine, Colin James, Beverly Mahood, Lee Aaron (chick rocker from Toronto....OK...pushing it), Barbara Amiel, Dave Jensen (oops...typo). But most importantly and my biggest brush would be Clive Schaupmeyer - world renowned author and fly fisher.

Oh ya...I did talk to Ian Turnbull and Mike Palmateer back when I was a young Leaf's fan. But I just said Hi....cuz I couldn't get anything else out.

Mike had a few brushes, one of them last year fishing in the QCI....maybe he'll post on here HINT HINT FREAKIN' HINT.

Music

Neil Young, Randy Bachman, Kim Mitchell, Avril Lavigne, Paul Anka(didn't know who it was till my Mom freaked out),Stompin Tom Connors, Alanyss Morisette, and my crowning Acheive meant A 10 minute conversation Jerry Garcia after their concert in Kingston ON in '89

That's crazy Teck you got a few legends there...

Mostly A right place at the right time type of thing. and being a bartend in 3 of the biggest clubs in Ottawa Helped. And in Toronto My Gramps knows everyone. I have never gone anywhere with him that someone didn't call out to him on the street, even last year I flew him out here from Toronto so he could see the kids and such we went took him up the Gondolain Banff for the view and he met three people he knew from their old winter home in Florida. the old guy is amazing.

Snakeman,

he came out while a friend and IO were sitting there letting the buzz wear off and having a smoke before we drove home, he came up asked how old we were at the time I was about 18 then ask what we thought of the show (this was the 4th of 6 that we saw that summer) said it was great, he asked our fav song (for me it was Sugar Magnolia or Friend of the devil) he kind of said Wow and walked off.

was kind cool, and a nice end to a buzz