Fly Fusion Forums

Proper Gear Storage For The Winter?

Sage

Quick question as I know I won't be winter fishing unless its a nice El Nino year with temps above +5C :)

Is it hard on the rods, reels, nets and waders to leave them in the garage with our Calgary possibility of extreme cold?

Where do you guys store your fly fishing gear for " winter shutdown"?

Don't want to do irreparable damage to my gear with rookie mistakes.

I would store it all inside the house, except maybe wading boots.

Also, while I will keep a 6 weight operational, for those warm winter days, most everything else gets tucked away.

Clean and lubricate reels, clean fly lines, toss the used leaders. I like to put a coat of wax on my rods before storage, I use Nu Finish, it doesn't scratch the blank. If the cork is dirty, gently use a dampened Mr CLean Magic Eraser on the handle, it will remove the dirt, sweat, (tears maybe?) sunscreen etc that accumulate on the handle after a busy summer of the river.

Its a good time as well, to wash all my fishing shirts, baselayers, pants, wading socks, and hang or store properly after airing them out for a few days. Waders are hung at room temp, by the straps, as always I would never leave them folded for the winter. I dont like leaving them folded at all, except in the duffle on the way to the river.

I know I 'over answered' your question, oops

:cheers:

• Like 3