Fly Fusion Forums

Calgary Floods And Fishing A Look Back

bigfry

I keep a diary and the fishing after the 2005 flood was not noticeably different for me. The 2013 was pretty much a complete reset, radical changes to the rivers, not just the Bow. The other flood that had a huge impact was 1995, that did a number on a lot of the water. Most noticeably the Castle area and southern part of the Oldman drainage. I think for decades before we had very stable weather patterns and due to the change in climate the topography followed suite. So where there were nice runs/pools/riffles; things got moved. As for the fishing, some people say it got better after each of the flood events. I think that is true to a certain extent, for example the noticeably bigger fish this fall in the Bow. From what I saw after the 2005 flood there were more and bigger cutthroat further downstream in the rivers and creeks down south. However from my diary the fishing was pretty good before too. So I don't think it gets better or worse, it just gets different. I had a monster day on the Bow in 2004, big fish all day. But I had a monster day on the Bow a couple of weeks ago, big fish all day. Just were in new spots.