Fly Fusion Forums

Air Lock Indicators

Buck

New Zealand wool indicator is great. Love it for indicator and for tying wings, you can even use it as a hackle substitute. Put some flyagra on it and it never sinks (2-3 hours). I it gets waterlogged,quick squeeze with cotton or Paper towel will dry it instantly.

For indicator, I'll tie a 4" piece of 10 lb line, secure wool with a clinch knot. Tie the other end to your leader with a blood knot. Now you can adjust your depth however you like. What is neat about it is that there is no added weight to leader, which makes for easy casting. This type of indicator is super sensitive.

New Zealand wool indicator is great. Love it for indicator and for tying wings, you can even use it as a hackle substitute. Put some flyagra on it and it never sinks (2-3 hours). I it gets waterlogged,quick squeeze with cotton or Paper towel will dry it instantly. For indicator, I'll tie a 4" piece of 10 lb line, secure wool with a clinch knot. Tie the other end to your leader with a blood knot. Now you can adjust your depth however you like. What is neat about it is that there is no added weight to leader, which makes for easy casting. This type of indicator is super sensitive.

But will it hold up three wire worms?

Guest threepwood

do they come with extra caps? I can see myself dropping a couple every time I'm out. I want to give the New Zealand indicator a try.

Colin

The pack I bought did not, and I lost a cap practically immediately. They're interchangeable, though, so I just switch them between the color I want to use.

• Like 1

The pack I bought did not, and I lost a cap practically immediately. They're interchangeable, though, so I just switch them between the color I want to use.

Talking with Dave at Fishtales today and he said there are always extras at the bottom of their bins, so I would guess if you ask you could grab one or two. He also mentioned he's trying to get them to package just the caps, so someone could just buy a bag of caps if needed.

Was gonna grab one of the New Zealand Indicators but they only had green or white wool and that won't work with my eyes, :eek: will wait till they get some more orange.

Colin

I bought the NZ indicators to try this year for early, high water nymphing for cutties. Fortunately due to low run off, the cutties were looking up from day one. In fact I caught my biggest fish of the year on opening day on a Fat Albert!! I guess I'll have to wait until next season.

Al Don't you know that nymphing for cutties is sacrilegious!!

I wanted to try a nymph that day we were out on the Upper OM... except I was worried that y'all would start cursing, heads-spinning, spouting Lee Wulff quotes of some kind or another, before finally bludgeoning me with your size 3 rods and abandoning me in the woods with nothing except a bottle of floatant and some Frog's Fanny.

Glad you didn't or you would have been hog tied and left for the cougars and grizzlies!!

I wanted to try a nymph that day we were out on the Upper OM... except I was worried that y'all would start cursing, heads-spinning, spouting Lee Wulff quotes of some kind or another, before finally bludgeoning me with your size 3 rods and abandoning me in the woods with nothing except a bottle of floatant and some Frog's Fanny.