Fly Fusion Forums

Fishing With Fiberglass Rods

That was cool, but I was hoping it might be more informative.

Is there something special about fiberglass rods? I've got an old one from my grandfather... Should I pay a little bit of attention to it?

IMHO - Just depends what it is, Fly Rods can be awesome tools for casting or be great for tomato stakes. I find that the softer flex of Fiberglass and bamboo is much nicer for hooking and fighting Trout and laying out a gentle dry. They protect light leaders much easier and have more overall feel during the fight. Unlike the stiffer "performance" rods that cast a mile but have less after cast control. Don't get me wrong I own a few Sages and Loops that are wonderful in their own right but I love more than just fast and far. I often fish intimate waters for large browns, rainbows and cutts and for me that's where it they shine. Perhaps part of it was that I grew up with Fiberglass and Boo.

• Like 4

Cool video and great collection taco.

This winter I'm building an epic 686 glass rod. I am hoping it will be my new nymph, streamer and large terrestrial workhorse for the bow. Never fished glass before, but I love my cane rod for dries. I really enjoy feeling the rod load and I hope the epic will give me a similar experience when fishing those subsurface flies.

Silver doctor, were you putting together some mountain brook blanks last year? Any info you could pass on?

Sure Muha,

the blanks arrived quickly, Mountain Brook was really great to deal with. I built 2 of them that where ready before last spring's season and I fished them through the year (while flowing waters where open), very nice blanks The first was a #7.6", a joy to cast all day, here are a couple of pictures. You really have to slow down your cast with these rods which may frustrate some people, but it also makes for a very gentle, quiet, accurate presentation. I had one Cuttie hit the fly before it settled the water. The cork on both are from Champagne bottles, I wanted an old world look and recycling is nice. You can see how I built this rod on my blog on my link below.

2015-04-02%2015.58.49_zpsyfycrxd2.jpg2015-04-02%2016.00.35_zpsxw3fu3po.jpg

The second Mountain brook blank was a #6' - 6" that I built for smaller waters with tight casting and overhead areas using tiny dries. Lovely casting for those small streams. It was really meant for Brookies. but those darn 20"+ plus brown's kept giving it a workout.

IMG_0685_zpsfof1chtz.jpg

IMG_0689_zpsqma7k31o.jpg

IMG_0690_zpsk5t4xpme.jpg

IMG_0698_zpsefglybor.jpg

IMG_0695_zpsuh7jklzv.jpg

IMG_0697_zpscwhynefc.jpg

IMG_0692_zpsvhgorrxp.jpg

Crusty Ol' Doc tossing feathers at trout much smarter then me, shows the flex in these rods

IMG_0174_zpse7zq7zru.jpg

• Like 5

YrKA6k.jpg

kT7yDt.jpg

I have been requested to identify the above rods;

Left to right;

Late fifties Silaflex Medallion MF65-2, waiting restoration

Late fifties Silaflex Medallion MF70-2, waiting restoration

Ted Williams Crown Medal 80-2 HDH-HCH line, tradin' rod

1973-74 Phillipson/3M Master MF76 #6 Line , tradin' rod

1964 Johnson Profile Series 800 8F76LC Crafted by Phillipson Line # 6

Early 70s Phillipson Master G-MF76L Line HEH #5 line

Early 70s Phillipson Master G-MF80L Line HEH #5 line

Beans Double "L" 71/2 Ft Line #6 Crafted by Phillipson

6'6" 3 wt Winston/Fisher crafted by Don Andersen

8'6" 5-6wt Winston/Fisher crafted by Don Andersen

Larry Kenney 794-3, modern e-glass 4 wt

Larry Kenney 835-3, modern e-glass 5wt

Not pictured but I also own a Kenney 866-3 and a Steffen 8'6" 3 piece 5-6wt blank waiting assembly

I prefer the feel and feedback of glass over graphite. That Kenney 866-3 will lay out the complete line with 2 false casts and a double haul and give you more feel than a Sage 4 wt.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...