Fly Fusion Forums

Aeration Of Lakes May Come To End In Alberta

HA HA! Apparently the law predates 1920 so we can't even blame any current political philosophies. There are oodles of arcane laws in Canada.

"For example, recently a Toronto businessman found that to sell edible underwear in his 'Adult Entertainment’ store, he’d need a food license. Who knew?" :P

"I'll teach those redneck anglers, bird watchers and cottage owners a thing or two."

5873.mulroney-the-opera-2.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this today, figured some may be interested. Different approach. from http://alberta.ca/release.cfm?xID=388234FA887FE-00FE-017D-05484F6D0FD67400 which was found on gov.ab.ca.

A number of Alberta lakes and ponds are aerated through the winter to improve the survival of stocked fish. Aeration systems are delivered through the Alberta Conservation Association and Alberta Environment and Parks.

“As winter sets in, Alberta offers an abundance of outdoor recreational opportunities such as ice fishing, snowshoeing, cross-country skiing and hunting. While we aerate these water bodies to support stocked fish populations, our first priority is public safety. I encourage Albertans to take extra caution and follow posted instructions at Alberta’s aerated lakes and ponds.”
Shannon Phillips, Minister of Environment and Parks

Alberta’s aerated water bodies are:

• Beaver Lake
  • Birch Lake
  • Cecil Thompson Pond
  • Coleman Fish and Game Pond
  • East Dollar Lake
  • Fiesta Lake
  • Figure Eight Lake
  • Hansen Reservoir
  • Ironside Pond
  • Millers Lake
  • Mitchell Lake
  • Moonshine Lake
  • Muir Lake
  • Spring Lake – Stony Plain
  • Spring Lake – Grande Prairie
  • Sulphur Lake
  • Swan Lake

“Without a viable lake aeration system we would have significantly fewer recreational angling opportunities in Alberta. We applaud the efforts of those who have worked so diligently to ensure that safe and comprehensive aeration requirements are in place to help maintain stocked fisheries for public enjoyment.”
Peter Little, Trout Unlimited

Changes to the Criminal Code of Canada have specified that those who create holes in ice have a duty to both warn and protect the public from this danger.

In order to balance the use of lake aeration techniques to improve fish survival, while maintaining public safety, Environment and Parks has developed new minimum requirements that must be satisfied to operate aeration systems on publicly accessible waters in Alberta.

These requirements include:

• Public notices must be placed in local and regional newspapers;
  • Signage must be erected on every public access to aerated lakes;
  • Fences must be erected around aerator(s);
  • Signage must appear on all fences located on ice; and
  • Winter fishing events on aerated lakes require the posting of a guard(s) at fences.
  • Like 2

RE: aeration of POL

Yesterday I rec'd the following note from E&P bio:

Thanks for your message. I have seen, and as I’m sure you are aware the discussion about aeration is a live one. We are actively working on this file. I expect to have more information to discuss with you soon.

It is being discussed. Shall see if POL can be aerated.

"Dicky Birds and Snails get a sack full." Just wait until Shannon orders ACA to "do something" about climate change. She is on a huge ego and power trip and we are all going to pay and nothing will change except money will be diverted away from REAL environmental protection. Every million dollars wasted on imaginary climate solutions that stroke Shannon's ego will not be available for protection of fisheries and wildlife .... and hospitals for that matter.

Clive

[quote name="dryfly" post

"Dicky Birds and Snails get a sack full." Just wait until Shannon orders ACA to "do something" about climate change. She is on a huge ego and power trip and we are all going to pay and nothing will change except money will be diverted away from REAL environmental protection. Every million dollars wasted on imaginary climate solutions that stroke Shannon's ego will not be available for protection of fisheries and wildlife .... and hospitals for that matter.

Clive

Clive,

Unlike the 50+ years of Govt doing damnlittle about fisheries, a river closure this year plus a Areation policy done in less than 5 years has to be good for both fishermen and fish.

If she's in a power trip and after watching her be offended by "Cowboy Welfare" and her depts actually doing something, I hope her Power Trip lasts.

And I tried to get a phone call to McLeod who is responsible for Police and was successful. I'll keep trying.

Don

• Like 3