Fly Fusion Forums

Graves Bridge Calgary

Had a lengthy chat with the CO. She confirmed that while the vehicles are certainly stradling the line of what is acceptable, but it isn't illegal. You could argue that they are disrupting/damaging the bank, but that is really hard to prove.

A little frustrating that there isn't much that could be done, but it was good to understand the legislation a little better.

There must be some bylaw or Alberta Traffic act reg against this kind of activity.

She said there isn't sadly. They could charge them with a number of things, but they would never get a conviction.

She did say that the City could decide to turn these areas into Loading Zones. Essentially you could drop off gear or launch a boat, but you would be forced to park up at the parking lot. Not a bad idea...

• Like 1

I swear some CO's require some basic law retraining. This is very much against the Public Lands Administration Regulation, under the Public Lands Act. They are within the bed of the river. Period.

From section 43:

43 No person, other than an employee, agent or contractor of the

Government of Alberta who is carrying out the person’s duties,

shall enter on or occupy vacant public land that is a bed or shore of

a permanent and naturally occurring body of water or a naturally

occurring river, stream, watercourse or lake except

(a) where the entry and occupation is for a recreational

purpose that

(i) involves boating,

(ii) involves travel on frozen ground or on ice capable of

holding the weight of the conveyance without

making a depression on the ground or ice or breaking

the ice, or

(iii) does not involve the use of a wheeled or tracked

conveyance

I don't think everyone needs to be ticketed, but send out a CO with a warning book, and get it done. Also, why is Calgary Parks not putting up a sign indicating that is not a parking spot? This was brought up months ago.... Pinkster, what's your boss doing?

• Like 1

It's a head scratcher to me as well. I'm pestering F&W on their FaceBook page to get some clarification on this. It made sense when the CO was explaining it to me, but your quote from the Public Lands Act is clear as day.

We issued an administrative inquiry in July asking what the City is planning to do about this. Admin works at the speed of government on some of this stuff, and I've been told we will need to await their response. If I don't have something closer to the end of the month, I'll start getting a little pissy. The City of Calgary could turn the entire area into a Loading Zone as I mentioned before. To me that would be a pretty simple solution and shouldn't actually be that difficult to do. Once we get our reply from Administration I'll push back and ask if they could turn the area into a Loading Zone with designated parking only at the lot.

• Like 1