Fly Fusion Forums

Child Carrying Backpacks

I picked up a Kelty Child carrying backpack for some light hikes with my son who is 1.5 years old.

Quick question for any of you who have tried one of these child carriers. How long of a hike is too long for the little gaffers? Any tips for hiking with these carriers?

Thanks!

• Like 1

I found it depends on the child and the day. Be willing to make stops as requested. Be careful with too much sun, or cold (one time lost a boot on a grouse hunting adventure). My son used to use my ear as a switch to engage "sticky feet" for wading in the Livingstone. Spending time with your son is the goal, not necessarily the hike destination

• Like 3

We had a carrier that had a top on it to protect from the sun and netting in front. Perfect for protection from flying nymphs and dries. I used to go for hours with her on my back, was great. Sometimes I would take her off my back while she was sleeping and place her near me on the shore. That stopped after I turned one time and it had fallen over and she was staring at the sky. I felt bad but she wasn't crying and then I had a good laugh. I generally went for about an hour or two at a time before taking her off or taking her out. She loved the ride, still now at 7 she asks to go in it. No way now, stopped a few years back.

They work great, just get some sun protection and make stops every 45 minutes to an hour. Get your kid to walk a bit. Mine freaks out when his leg or arm go numb while sleeping, it is funny at times.

Our kids both went for some major hikes in our backpack. They usually had a very good nap while I was getting a good workout. One thing that we did that you might helpful is to get a handheld mirror and tie it to a string attached to the back pack. It would just hang off the side but could be used to check out the kid to see what they are doing (ie. napping, hat still on head, etc.). Very handy if you do not have the other parent with you.

Our kids both went for some major hikes in our backpack. They usually had a very good nap while I was getting a good workout. One thing that we did that you might helpful is to get a handheld mirror and tie it to a string attached to the back pack. It would just hang off the side but could be used to check out the kid to see what they are doing (ie. napping, hat still on head, etc.). Very handy if you do not have the other parent with you.

Awesome tip, thanks Mike

We had our daughter out at 5 months doing Grassi lakes in canmore. It may depend on the type of pack you get. We have an osprey, which we like, but I like the design of the deuter a bit better.

They have to be able to support their heads which takes a few months.

We had our daughter out at 5 months doing Grassi lakes in canmore. It may depend on the type of pack you get. We have an osprey, which we like, but I like the design of the deuter a bit better.

They have to be able to support their heads which takes a few months.

My first is due decmeber!

Should be ready for next summer then!

Good thread guys, I have my first coming Aug 1st. How long until you can drop them in the back pack?

We had Emily in ours in New Zealand at 5 months, also brought along a Baby Bjorn, as well.

and before everyone passes judgement on me.

217395_5224596815_2392_n.jpg?oh=601ce1e5

water was only knee deep, I had been lugging her around all day while everyone else was out fishing, and I just needed to 'pretend' I was fishing. She certainly enjoyed herself though.

Colin

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Great topic! I had good luck with the Bjorn up to a year and a half, even took Charlie skiing and snowshoeing in the back country a couple times with it. As soon as I tried the Kelty he just wasn't having it, as my old man would say, I think he has ants in his pants. Now that he is two and a half he is good for hiking a few kilometers now, and enjoys hanging out at little lakes and ponds while a cast a few flies. just have to break him of tossing rocks in the water while I cast LOL

My neighbour gave me rickshaw handles/harness for my chariot so as summer goes on we'll try hitting a few lakes a little deeper in with that, I did do a 5km hike to a lake a couple weeks ago with him on my shoulders, it is actually not a bad way to travel and he loves it, the only problem is your neck gets pretty hot and and you can't really look back without spinning around which is a bit of annoyance with so many bears around this year. The good is it is really easy to switch beween him riding on my shoulders and him walking, just pop him on and off over my head.

I will admit I am enjoying visiting all the little lakes and ponds close to home, many of which I have not fished in 10-20 years. Got him into his 1st brookie two weeks ago, that was fun!

• 2 weeks later...