Fly Fusion Forums

Fixing Waders Zipper

Hey gang,

A few weeks ago the zipper on my Redington sonic pro waders got stuck all the way up. I couldn't get it unstuck so just figured the zipper was now just decorative and continued using the waders. Well, last night the zippered part began opening in the middle and now one of the tracks is not threaded at all. Has anyone else ever had this problem with zippered waders? Is there a way to fix it? I hesitate to send them back to Redington as the warranty is long since expired and don't really want to wait. Thanks for any help, it is much appreciated.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that wax will fix it. I've attached some pics that I hope better illustrate the problem. Other than removing some of the teeth near the bottom, I'm not sure how to rethread the thing. There's a stopper at the bottom and the top. Maybe I'm missing something. Hopefully one of you can help! :)

http://rsmg.pbsrc.com/albums/1003/FuriousTearsofMalice/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_0664.jpg~320x480

http://rsmg.pbsrc.com/albums/1003/FuriousTearsofMalice/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_0665.jpg~320x480

I couldn't open your pictures but I had a similar thing happen to my Snowbee waders last year. It's frustrating that a $400.00 pair of chest waders are now hip waders. Anything above waist deep and the water just pours in. All I can say is never again!

Yeah I can't open the photos either. Might try to get a screwdriver to pry open the slider a bit to slip in the teeth backi n if it's what I think it is. If not you can try the gear repair at Spirt West (11th Ave downtown Calgary a 1/2 block west of the CoOp Garden Market).

If not Redindton is pretty good to deal with.

• Like 2

Okay, I posted those other pictures from my phone. Hopefully these work:

DSC_0664.jpg

DSC_0665.jpg

I haven't contacted Redington as their warranty (even for manufacturer defects) is only for one year on waders and I've had these for about 4 years now. Additionally, the original sticking of the zipper could have been a defect, but from what I've read it was leaving them done up all the time that probably caused the eventual complete failure of the zipper. Apparently you are never supposed to store zippered waders done up as any pressure and severe bending can cause the zipper to fail.

From what I can see, I could remove a few teeth, rethread the zipper at the bottom, zip it up a couple of inches and apply patches and a ton of aquaseal to waterproof it and then the zipper would just begin a couple inches above where it did originally. Kind of a redneck solution, but I don't really want to put a ton of money into them at this point. I've also had them leak on me just about every season. The fit is great, but I haven't been that impressed by the quality of these Sonic Pros.

Thankfully, I have the original design which wasn't near what they cost now. I think I'll be switching back to Simms when I can afford a new pair.

ANYWAY, I welcome any and all suggestions on how to fix this.

It's easier if you have 3 hands!! O while you wedge the screw driver into the slider you kind of have to slip it into the space between two of the teeth (shouldnt matter which ones) not to much pressure prying the slider apart. They can break. If it works lube with paraffin. you can also pinch the slider back with pliersif you spread to wide.

Let me know how you make out.

I had this same issue happen on my Sonic Pro Waders that I bought through Fish Tales.

I had Reddington Warranty them directly for me once for leaks. I then contacted them about the zipper as it would just buckle and come undone.

Talked to Dave at Fish Tales and they had them replaced for me with the new ones. The zipper issue has been around for a while.

So, I would contact Reddington directly, as I don't think you are in Calgary and have easy access to Fish Tales to have them do it for you, and see what they will do. Reddington, for me, has been a dream to deal with, so contact them right away.

Thanks for the replies, gang. I don't think I can do the whole screwdriver thing because the slider is made out of a really hard plastic. A flathead screwdriver just bites into the plastic before it ever pries it open further. I'm going to try and contact Redington before I do anything drastic (like sealing the zipper). I live in Sylvan Lake, so it's about an hour and a half trip out to Fish Tales, but I could make it if it will solve my problems. Also, I've made a couple of big purchases from Dave lately, so maybe he can help.

I'll keep you guys in the loop as this seems to be a somewhat common problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Fish Tales took up my cause and were able to secure a warranty replacement (with a $40 fee) for me. Absolutely stellar service from Nancy and David considering I didn't even buy them there. Just waiting for them to get a pair in that will fit my short stocky frame. Also, serious kudos to Redington for honouring their warranty 2 years passed the expiry.

• Like 1

I just picked up my new waders from Fish Tales. I want to publicly thank Nancy and David at Fish Tales for going out of their way to help me when they didn't have to. They seriously did me a solid. Also, some serious props go out to Redington for honouring their warranty way past the due date. They definitely did me a solid, too.

• Like 4